PDA

View Full Version : Smog Tech question for OBD2 cars in California?

Twinturbozs
11-27-2005, 03:03 PM
I was considering purchasing a 97 S14 with SR swap. I was curious if the OBD2 port in the car is used when smogging the car? I understand any SR swap will not pass, but im wondering what procedures are different when smogging an OBD2 car compared to a regular smog. Thanks

mrmephistopheles
11-27-2005, 03:41 PM
yes, OBD ports are utilized when a car is being smogged.

Cashizslick
11-27-2005, 03:44 PM
^ correcto.

When the smog equipment is connected to the car, it looks to communicate with the car's computer and OBD II sensors. An SR is not and OBD II motor (no jap motors are) and will not communicate with the smog equipment . . . u will fail inspection.

Twinturbozs
11-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the info.. One more question, how does a "certain" smog tech bypass the OBD2 port if he is willing to take the risk if there is no ECU to communicate with?

mrmephistopheles
11-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the info.. One more question, how does a "certain" smog tech bypass the OBD2 port if he is willing to take the risk if there is no ECU to communicate with?

He doesn't.
The smog machines require a connection to an OBDII port.

Twinturbozs
11-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Im sorry to be second guessing you "mrmephistopheles" but there must be some way these guys are getting past smog. Ive seen a few 97-SR's that offer smog with their sales in cali?

projectRDM
11-27-2005, 06:58 PM
You can't bypass anything. You can use a different car and fool the machine, but that's risky, illegal, and can result in serious fines for everyone involved.

Twinturbozs
11-27-2005, 07:05 PM
So what youre saying is that another car that is also OBD2 can be substituted during the smog test? Doesnt the uplink record your VIN or vehicle ID while the test is taking place?

mrmephistopheles
11-27-2005, 07:08 PM
So what youre saying is that another car that is also OBD2 can be substituted during the smog test? Doesnt the uplink record your VIN or vehicle ID while the test is taking place?

You're assuming there's an embedded VIN in the ECU. That idea is stupid.
ECUs are just computers. Sometimes they get fried or burn out and need replacement. You don't get a whole new VIN or reprogrammed ECU when this happens.

projectRDM
11-27-2005, 07:12 PM
Supposedly yes, the ECU stores the VIN of the car and sends it when scanned. So technically you can get away with it if no one keeps tabs at the DMV, but if they do or decide to you're all guilty.
I'm only taking guesses here since I don't advocate the misuse of testing centers, we all know there are ways around it just like there's ways to buy cocaine and AK47s without anyone asking questions, but with the amount of weight they can put on violators I think it's best to walk away unless you know that special loophole.

fliprayzin240sx
11-27-2005, 10:30 PM
The only way those cars passed is by swapping them for another car at the station. No way in hell a OBD2 S14 with a SR20 will pass. Diagnostic port will be used and also the sniffer.

slider2828
11-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Hey guys I have a 90 s13 and that is obd1. I had an idea where I think I can pass cali smog. In australia all the 200sx s14 sr20det's have a egr valve, couldn't we fit that egr valve on our car and make it pass? the sr's in australia i think are redtops.... I think that will work because all wiring and everything else is the same as KA cars.... whatcha think?

Cashizslick
11-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Supposedly yes, the ECU stores the VIN of the car and sends it when scanned. So technically you can get away with it if no one keeps tabs at the DMV, but if they do or decide to you're all guilty.

Good luck when u get pulled over.

Cop takes ur registration over to your inspection sticker to compare vins . . . . jail time homie; illegal inspection sticker.

DP_Michelle G
11-30-2005, 05:56 PM
^^ In ca homie we dont have inspection stickers like some states. one homie has a shit load of inspection stickers on his mr2 from when he lived in NC

slider- thats still a no go. Any jspec motor that has been tuned up will pass the CA Emissions test but will not pass the visual test.

trsilvias13
11-30-2005, 06:28 PM
well if a ecu store the vin, and you know one with the same year 240sx , a 97 let him run your ecu then, same thing. just run his car on the smog dyno , BUT let them scan YOUR door jam cuz that where the vin is. And of course you better not say nothign when u get caught.

Cashizslick
11-30-2005, 06:45 PM
Any jspec motor that has been tuned up will pass the CA Emissions test but will not pass the visual test.

how is a jap motor in an 0bdII car gonna pass the 0bd test if the equipment cant communicate with the 0bd system?

DP_Michelle G
11-30-2005, 06:59 PM
Never said it would pass the Diagnostic part of the test. only said it would pass the Emissions part of the test.

fast-datsun
12-01-2005, 10:53 AM
It will never pass the visual or comunicate with the computer to allow the test to go pass that part.. There are NO legal SR20DET swap in California for any year 240sx. Some have done some thing to get smogs but none are 100% legal..............

slider2828
12-01-2005, 11:31 AM
But S13 is OBD1 so there you don't need the onboard computer hook up to do the smog right? Visual only requires that there is charcoal canister and egr valve right?

Ritz S14
12-01-2005, 11:41 AM
But S13 is OBD1 so there you don't need the onboard computer hook up to do the smog right? Visual only requires that there is charcoal canister and egr valve right?

Visual requirements are to make sure there are no illegal modifications done to the car. Which means nothing adding/disconnected/modified and etc.

Visual checks consist of:

PVC
TAC
Evap
CAT
AIS
Gascap
Fuel Injection/Carb
Timing
Check engine light
timing
wiring
and etc.

Var
12-01-2005, 01:30 PM

You can't bypass anything. You can use a different car and fool the machine, but that's risky, illegal, and can result in serious fines for everyone involved.

Actually you CAN bypass it. It's at the smog tech's risk though.

Ritz S14
12-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Actually you CAN bypass it. It's at the smog tech's risk though.

Yeah.. But I didn't want to say anything.

DP_Michelle G
12-01-2005, 03:41 PM
most smog techs i know will not smog swapped obd2 cars. they say it's just to much of a risk.