PDA

View Full Version : what options for changing front ball joints?

xagna
11-27-2005, 01:38 AM
I keep hearing some clunking noises from engine bay and this only happens when I turn the steering wheel to park. So I suspect that front ball joints are at the end of their lives.
What are my options in regard to changing the front ball joints do you all think?
Do I just get new ball joints or is it more economical to change the entire front lower control arms?
I want to do this job myself.
If you could recommand some products, I would appreciate a lot.

Ritz S14
11-27-2005, 02:13 AM
You can replace the ball joint with a "Moog" ball joint. I have them on my s13 when doing an s14 5lug conversion up front.. It's pretty easy.

Remove the lower control arm(LCA), by banging the shit out of the ball joint with the castlated nut half way off, and the cotter pin out. Once that's off, remove the bolt that is holding the LCA to the crossmember(may not be the correct name?).

Now.. First time I tried to remove the ball joint I took it to the press. Man.. it was a BITCH and I was unsucessful. So my second attempt was to just bang the ball joint out.. by just slamming the threated part onto a vice, and it just popped off. Make sure to remove the lock ring before you attempt to remove it. Press it in, and you're all set.

Since you have the LCA removed, it'd be best to install a new LCA bushing.

If you're Russ... You can get both sides done in about 12 minutes and 13.233 seconds.

But if you've never done one before, it'll probably take you an hour and a half.

projectRDM
11-27-2005, 03:44 AM
Ha. I've actually had bad luck with balljoints during my lifetime and it's taken longer than expected, but I've got a friend who looks like Hulk Hogan, he beats them in/out with a ballpeen hammer, two hits either way. Guy is sick. A press definitely is easier if you have the right drift or arbor to place on the joint.

xagna
11-27-2005, 04:11 AM
Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences with me. I, too, was thinking about changing bushings in the LCA but I felt like I needed bushing press or something. Am I correct?
What type of tool do I need to get the old worn out bushing out of the LCA?

m0rex
11-27-2005, 04:57 AM
You definetly need a press for a ball joint. For the lca bushing just burn it out find the thread from icecreamdan i think.