PDA

View Full Version : fuses, ecu, and such

omgosh
11-26-2005, 10:12 PM
So I got off the highway to get myself a drink on my way from tampa to jacksonville...went back to the car, and tried to start it up. I didnt hold the ignition long enough I think, and then everything just shut off.

I figured out it was my alternator fuse (75 amp). So I tried to replace it by wiring in my sub. amp fuse (I dont know what rating it was, but it looked as big as the original). This started the car, so I shut it down and went inside to use the bathroom. When I came back out it did the same thing, tried to start and then blew the fuse. After walking all over the place searching for a replacement, I ended up just jumpering it and drove home. Also, I couldnt find anything grounding out where it shouldnt be, and where it wasnt before..

Anyway, I checked parts stores, and not even napa has the alt. fuse. I saw a thread where it was like $20 from the dealer, and special order...anyone know where I can get this thing from? Search turned up nothing else useful..

So now I have a blown inline fuse for my stereo as well...and I cant seem to find what rating I should use for that. Its a glass fuse if it matters, and its only a 200 watt amp with either 2 or 4 gauge wire.

On a side note, it seems that my car runs ALOT better right after the ECU has been reset. It seems like once the ECU starts to "relearn" the engines tendencies, it runs like crap again. Any ideas?

Thanks for any input!

>Cliffs notes:

1. Where can I buy an alt. fuse besides the dealer?
2. What size fuse should I use for a 200 watt amp?
3. Car runs better after resetting ecu, ideas?
4. Is it likely the new fuse will just blow up when I start the car again?

Irukandji
11-26-2005, 11:26 PM
fuses can be purchased at Osh hardware.

if fuses keep blowing, theres something wrong (duh, sorry for stating the obvious)

about the ECU resetting, suprisingly my car ran better after I reset the ECU. My CEL kept appearing because my o2 sensor. After I replaced the sensor I unplugged the battery for a good 10 min to let the ECU reset. After driving it, it felt much smoother. It might have just been the o2 sensor, but it ran much better even before I had the problem occur.

hope that helps

fliprayzin240sx
11-26-2005, 11:56 PM
Alternator could be going out...i had this issue on my S14. I kept blowing the 100 amp main fuse and that was a pain in the ass to replace. OEM only part.

omgosh
11-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Hm, well I have had some weird electrical problems and my lights like to dim at random times...maybe thats it.

But I just got a random 80amp fuse and made it fit, then duct taped it down, lol.

DJPimpFlex
11-27-2005, 05:30 PM
you can get a OEM alt fues at courtesy Nissan. Heres a link. I know becuae i just had to buy one cause it blew for some reason. replaced it and have had no problems since.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FSBLK-75A32V&Category_Code=

Maxboost
11-27-2005, 10:35 PM
You can get the fuse for 17.66 at advanced auto parts. If you have been there, and they have told you that they can't get it, then they are full of crap. I know, I work there. I run commercial sales at my store, and if there is an enthusiast in the store, find them, and they will find it for you. I don't have a part number for you to reference at this time, but I will get one, and repost it, so all you have to do is give them the # and tell them to make it happen. A company by the name of GP Sorensen sells the part. If you don't have anything grounding out, then it's a good possibilty your alternator might be on it's last leg. going out means it may not produce enough voltage, or in worst case (our case scenarios) it produces too much. I've gone this with both of my s13's with hitachi alt's. if beleive I was reading in a tech manual I have at work, the reason why cars will run better after they have had their ecu's reset, and then relaps later on, results from the fact that problem may only be intermitten. Ie: a short from your coolant temp sensor, and it will only throw code again, until the problem reoccurs, which may not be until days or weeks later. These are all just humble suggestions.

omgosh
11-28-2005, 01:25 PM
I ended up getting a fuse from advance actually, but it was like a $3 universal thing. lol