PDA

View Full Version : pilot bearing Q

Sonic Motor
11-23-2005, 09:32 AM
Does anyone know what would happen if the pilot bearing isnt put back after a clutch job?

cuz my tranny sometimes grinds when i step on the clutch.

Its not a syncro

I just want to confirm it so I can take it back to those bastards at shop to put that sh!t back in.

Thanks!

aznpoopy
11-23-2005, 10:06 AM
jesus christ i hope you're joking

take that shit back to them and make them fix it

its provides support for the input shaft

when you step on the clutch *pedal*, do you feel and hear a weird grinding? that's typically the clutch release/throw out bearing.

SR240DET
11-23-2005, 10:42 AM
im with aznpoopy..... take that shit back.... make them do it right... i bet you paid them alot of money to do it to...

AndysAutoSport
11-23-2005, 10:43 AM
When you say your tranny is grinding, does it sound like that when you press the clutch pedal in? If so then it means you have a worn throw out bearing. I never heard of anyone not installing one at all though.

You should plan on taking it back to them with the quickness.

Sonic Motor
11-23-2005, 11:46 AM
ok heres the deal,

5 speed tranny swap, everything felt good, after driving it for a few days...realized theres a weird grind everytime I step on the clutch pedal. The shop told me it was a bad tranny, i got the replaced, same problem stayed...got my friends tranny(that worked for sure), replaced the throw out bearing(new koyo replace one), problem stayed.

Ive been going crazy over this problem...and I finally come to realized "ooooh, maybe they for got to put the goddam pilot bearing back in cuz they are a bunch of lazy mofos who NEVER repalce the pilot bearing during a clutch job."

Thanks for your help guys!

hipro
11-23-2005, 06:57 PM
You said 5-speed swap, implying you began with an automatic. Due to slight differences in size/length of input shafts, the input shaft on the auto tranny mates with a pilot converter that you can see inside the real main seal retainer on the drive plate. This steel pilot converter, although a real pain, should be removed to allow the manual tranny input shaft to properly mate with the pilot bearing/bronze bushing that you can see further inside the rear drive plate. The pilot converter is about 3/8" deep, which may be stressing the tranny input shaft and causing some of the issues.

Sonic Motor
11-23-2005, 08:48 PM
i just want to confirm that the ppl at the shop fuct up and the grinding is their fault and i can get a new pilot bearing installed.

projectRDM
11-23-2005, 09:33 PM
It sounds like they left the auto pilot bearing in place, but no one really knows until you take it back. So do that and let us know what you find.

skiboard06
11-24-2005, 08:42 AM
once you take the auto pilot bearing out do you need to replace it with a manual pilot bearing?

Sonic Motor
11-24-2005, 09:40 AM
Heres what i think the shop didnt do...

they didnt take out the auto pilot bearing, and didnt even both with the new pilot bearing.

The bearing will not properly fit with the manaul trans input shaft, and when you put load on the thrust bearing(steping on the clutch pedal), it will totally touch against something and grind like a lil biatch.

Can someone confirm this??

projectRDM
11-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Yes.

message length

Sonic Motor
11-29-2005, 10:26 AM
took it to the shop, they said the pilot bearing was pressed in, the throw out bearing is new. When you press on the clutch pedal, it feels like its stuck in gear when you try to take the stick out of a pocket. Know what i mean?

Same problem, remains... Anyone??

JigokuZ
11-29-2005, 10:59 AM
The pilot bearing isn't press in.. it's driven in...

aznpoopy
11-29-2005, 11:27 AM
the shop you go to sounds pretty shady. or just plain crappy.

you need a pilot bearing puller and 5 minutes with the car after the tranny is out.
then you take a rubber mallet and put the new one in.

don't know if that's your problem. first thing to check is to make sure the clutch is fully disengaging.

pr240sx
11-29-2005, 02:42 PM
If you dont use a supporting bearing (pilot bearing) you will increase the load on the mainshaft input bearingS (note the S, they are 4 mainshaft bearings!!)
The input shaft is a 2 part shaft. Without the pilot, this shaft will be only supporter by a roller bearing NOT designed to receive lateral loads (hence the bearing cage breaks)
Put that stupid bearing, no need to skip that. Its cheaper than rebuilding, reparing trannys!!

nightwalker
11-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Yeap i had my 5 speed swap done on my s13 and forget to replace the auto pilot bearing for the 5 speed one and it grind like crazzzzy when try to put in first gear and while shifting at hight rpm swap out the auto pilot bearing for the smaller 5 speed pilot bearing also change the master and slave cylinder work perfect for about a year now

Omarius Maximus
11-30-2005, 03:27 AM
Yeah the diff between a pilot bushing and bearing are freakin huge. The auto tranny pilot bushing looks like a coin while the manual bearing looks like a ring. The shop could have been stupid enough to just stick the input shaft of the man tranny into the pilot bushing but then again that would be pretty stupid.

Sonic Motor
12-01-2005, 10:44 PM
ok, thanks guys, im going to call the shop back and ask them again.

Sonic Motor
12-06-2005, 02:29 AM
would the MT tranny go in even if the AT tranny pilot bushing is still inside?

Sonic Motor
12-11-2005, 03:24 PM
sold the car, problem solved :)

aznpoopy
12-12-2005, 12:18 PM
:down:

problem solved. i don't think the problem was the car.