PDA

View Full Version : Removing Shifter to refill tranny fluid

c0ldasice
11-22-2005, 08:24 PM
I am going to be doing my transmission fluid for the first time and I want to take the shifter approach. I am going to be using this http://www.zilvia.net/installs/obxss/doc.asp as a guide to remove the shifter. I was wondering if I re-use all the stuff that is stated not to be reused and if there are steps in that guide that I should not follow considering I'm still keeping my stock shifter. Thanks for the help.

kingsol
11-22-2005, 08:39 PM
there are only 1 or 2 clips holding the shifter down. take them off, take shifter out, fill, put clips back

DJPimpFlex
11-22-2005, 08:49 PM
yea its pretty simple with the stock shifter. I got the damn B&M so I have to take the whole unit out. Its a pain in the ass because I have nismo mounts and they raise the driveline up about 1/4" making the front 2 bolts VERY hard to get at.

youngmanvr4
11-22-2005, 08:50 PM
You shouldn't have to replace anything. The only thing that you might want to make use is still in good condition is the inner boot on the transmission. Other then that just remove our trim and leather boot. Take the 4 screws off the plate and lift out the rubber boot. Then cut ties off lift up or remove the inner boot. Take the snap ring out and fill the tranny up. Put everything back in the order you took it out.

You dont have to take the c-ring out. Just do the steps the guide says to the snap ring then fill'r'up. I guessing you know where the hole is in the side of tranny to know how much oil to put in? If not then get a 1/2 inch drive, look on the passenger side toward the front of the tranny for a peice that you can take out with the 1/2 inch drive. Its easy to find. Make sure the car is level. Pour into the tranny about 5 1/8 pts. I would pour 5 pts in. Then let it sit for a minute to let the fluid run down in the tranny. Then pour just alittle more til fuild comes out.

c0ldasice
12-02-2005, 02:45 AM
Thanks a lot guys, I will probably be doing the fluid tomorrow.

dct223
12-02-2005, 07:11 AM
yea its pretty simple with the stock shifter. I got the damn B&M so I have to take the whole unit out. Its a pain in the ass because I have nismo mounts and they raise the driveline up about 1/4" making the front 2 bolts VERY hard to get at.

u can actually just take the shifter out if u have a hex key set... easy to take out... but needs a little TLC to get back in

brown eyes
12-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Here's a picture that might help you:

http://tinypic.com/i3ujjr.jpg

See that drain plug? See that filler plug?

Now ask yourself, why do you want to remove the shifter and give yourself all that extra work?

braintumor
12-02-2005, 03:03 PM
because its a pain in the butt to fill it up through the hole. and why not swap to a short shifter while doing the fluid?

rps13_fastback
12-02-2005, 03:16 PM
it's about the same amount of work, but if you've taken the shifter off before, do it that way.

teh drain/fill plugs can be a PITA. u also need a pump to pump the new fluid in the fill hole. PITA !

samms95s14se
12-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Just fill it through the filler hole in the tranny. If your going to be under there to drain it the fill hole is right there... all you need is an $8.00 fluid pump to fill it up and you can see when it starts to over flow and come out of the hole, you can't do that filling it by the shifter. Plus to chang your gear/lsd oil you will need the pump anyways! Just remember to always loosen the filler hole before the drain plug in case you can't get it off.

EchoOfSilence
12-02-2005, 03:31 PM
i prefer the drain plug method.

NemeGuero
12-02-2005, 04:06 PM
You mean fill plug? You have to drain it the same way, silly head. I prefer filling through top of tranny(shifter).. don't need a pump or anything.

mrmephistopheles
12-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Now ask yourself, why do you want to remove the shifter and give yourself all that extra work?

Because you can do it while the car is on the ground, and 4 bolts and a snap ring is not alot of work.

samms95s14se
12-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Because you can do it while the car is on the ground, and 4 bolts and a snap ring is not alot of work.

But you still have to lift it to drain it?? And one bolt seems easier then 4 bolts and a snap ring and console removal just to get to the shifter.

Jeff240sx
12-02-2005, 08:23 PM
You're forgetting the main issue during filling, is having the transmission level. If it's not level, filling it to spec is hard to do.
-Jeff

theicecreamdan
12-02-2005, 09:06 PM
those $8 fluid pumps SUCKASS

through the shifter is SUPER easy on my corolla, no interior, all I gotta do is move the rubber boot and pull the snap ring,

samms95s14se
12-03-2005, 11:39 AM
You're forgetting the main issue during filling, is having the transmission level. If it's not level, filling it to spec is hard to do.
-Jeff

It shouldn't be rocket science to anyone but all you do is...jack up the front and insert jackstands then jackup the rear until it's level then drain and fill. Tadaaa! I changed my tranny and rear gear oil at the same time using Redline products, I just pretreated the drain and fill bolts with some liquid wrench and 15 min later they came right off I also used a little teflon tape around all the threads because I hate leaks. The pump I used reminded me of a pump lotion bottle with out the bottle part with a long clear tube that the fluid comes out of. Hope this helps anyone reading this it's easy!

Teb74
12-03-2005, 11:48 AM
Or if your really cheap you can run a piece of clear tubing from the filler hole up through where the shifter is. You only have to remove a few bolts instead of taking the whole damn shifter out, while letting gravity do the work for you.. But yes go get a pump like everyones said!