PDA

View Full Version : what controls camber??

nlzmo400r
11-17-2005, 06:35 PM
I have a lightly modified s13 (front suspension: d2coilovers/ tein tie-rods/ tension rods)and am having some front camber issues. I know my rack and pinion is shot and needs to be replaced, but does anything else other than the front camber plates control camber? The reason I ask is because when I set my camber, my driver side (when the plate is max'd out) used to be over -4degrees. Now when I max the plate out, i only get to about -1degree. What else could be moving/sliding out of place that would throw off my camber (the camber plate doesnt slide,it stays where I put it)? Any help is appreciated- Rob

theicecreamdan
11-17-2005, 09:44 PM
lower control arm pivots from the mounting point, as you lower the car the control arm gets closer to paralel with the road. as this happens distance between the frame, and the ball joint increases, but the strut mount remains the same. this causes negative camber. where the strut bolts onto the spindle there is some adjustment, and camber plates on top of the spring shock/coilover can move the top in or out more to adjust camber more.

draw it all out on paper, and you should be able to figure it out. Unless you ditched class too much in high school.

EchoOfSilence
11-18-2005, 12:22 AM
yeah, that's pretty much it. roll-center adjustment is key here. also, if you would like dynamic camber, messing with the caster would be a good idea also

SochBAT
11-18-2005, 12:26 AM
Or how about those camber bolts on the macpherson mounts on the coilovers?

Those are always good.

kingsol
11-18-2005, 12:36 AM
and make sure your lca's not bent, or anything else for that matter.

nlzmo400r
11-18-2005, 06:58 PM
well nothings bent, I figured it was my ball joints on the lower arms. Also, ive messed with the strut mounting bolts on the shocks, didnt do enough. I'll take a look at it again on paper and see what I can do. I know my alignments dont hold because my rack and pinion is fucked up, so its hard to tell if my camber stays at one point (unless it goes so far out of whack that I can eyeball it)