PDA

View Full Version : S13 SR20DET Alternator (KA24, Quest, etc.)?

BlazedGlory
11-14-2005, 12:35 PM
My alternator has kicked the bucket. So right now I'm looking for a solution as quick as possible because my S13 is my daily driver.

I did a good bit of searching. I found out that you can use one from a KA24 if you swap the pulley and drill out the upper hole. But I've also read a bit about an alternator from a Nissan Quest. I found a thread about putting it on a KA and it said you can't swap to a KA pulley because it will rub, etc. but they were just running the 3 rib belt on the 4 rib pulley and it works fine...

I have a 5 rib belt on my sr I think, so I'm assuming it will bolt up to an SR with a bit of drilling if it will bolt up to a KA (and a KA will bolt up to an SR), but I guess the main problem/question is can you swap an SR pulley onto the Quest alternator? Or will it grind like the KA pulley?

If the quest one will work, are there specific years to get or something? Or should I just go with the KA and swap pullies?

Thanks!

i-love-my-s14
11-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Use an alternator from a ka, swap the pulley, and drill out the upper hole, and it bolts right on. I just did this two weeks ago and it works great.

BlazedGlory
11-14-2005, 03:20 PM
any ka?

I contacted mralternator.com about a high output one (150 amp), but he said it would take 3 - 4 weeks to get one together for me. So I was searching around and found that napa has an alternator for a 97 240sx that puts out 100 amps. That would be a fair upgrade for me if it is the same as an alternator for an earlier ka?

i-love-my-s14
11-14-2005, 04:31 PM
I used one from a 95 se, and that puts out 90 amps,(which is what I needed because I have an s14 sr) .On an s13 sr I think that you only need an 80 amp alternator(from a non se model), but I am not 100% sure.

BlazedGlory
11-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure the stock one puts out 80 amps, but why not get a lil' upgrade if it will fit?

rsxyz
12-13-2005, 09:58 PM
Ok, sorry to bring this thread back up.
I think my alternator kicked the bucket as well.
I am able to get a ka24de alternator off a 96 240sx, but my question is.
What do you guys mean by drilling the hole, do i drill a hole some where on the sr20, the pulley, or the alternator?
If you could post a picture or draw a diagram it would help a lot.

drifter808
12-13-2005, 11:02 PM
I just did this swap today. Not sure if the ka24de alternator will bolt on to the SR (i assume your talking about an SR) though but the ka24e did. I just swaped the pulleys and drilled out the top hole. the hole you have to drill is the top mounting hole on the alternator. the one that is used for tensioning the belt.

SoSideways
12-13-2005, 11:17 PM
We had problems trying to put a "KA" alternator onto my friend's redtop SR.

The pivot point was the same, and worked, but then the alternator body would hit the SR bracket way before the top "tensioner" hole was even close to being in range for the "tightest" belt tension setting.

I believe he said it was for a KA24DE, but I was skeptical about it, because it did not fit well at all, not like all the posts that I've seen.

rsxyz
12-13-2005, 11:44 PM
is there a way to check if my alternator is really fudged.

I had to ghetto rig two batteries to drive home, about 4 hours ago.

drifter808
12-13-2005, 11:45 PM
I had to remove that bracket. I forgot to mention that. After that it fit fine.

SoSideways
12-13-2005, 11:47 PM
I had to remove that bracket. I forgot to mention that. After that it fit fine.

Uh... that's the alternator bracket, where the alternator actually bolts/pivots on... if you took that off, how did you mount your alternator?

MELLO*SOS
12-14-2005, 12:55 AM
Hey Blazed, I think the Quest alternator would probably work on the SR too. Try it out and let us know, they are cheap on ebay :). And be sure to check out the 110a alternator thread in my sig if you haven't already!

GL and let us know how it turns out

drifter808
12-14-2005, 09:32 AM
No not that bracket. There is a bracket that mounts to the intake manifold to support the manifold. But since there is the other one by the starter i didn't see a need for it. When your putting in the alternator you'll see what i mean. I'll try and post up a photo later on today.

SoSideways
12-14-2005, 12:11 PM
No not that bracket. There is a bracket that mounts to the intake manifold to support the manifold. But since there is the other one by the starter i didn't see a need for it. When your putting in the alternator you'll see what i mean. I'll try and post up a photo later on today.

I told you that it didn't work with this particular alternator that we had. It probably wasn't even a KA-DE alternator.

We ground out a chunk of the main alternator bracket hoping that the alternator will fit then, but still no go.

You can post pics still though, I'd like to know how far off we were from a KA-DE alternator.

Mirage
12-14-2005, 01:31 PM
or look in your yellow pages for a starter/alternator shop and talk to them about having it rebuilt. Most places will also rebuild it to a higher amperage for extra $$. One of the shops here has same day turn around if he has the parts, next day if he doesn't.

drifter808
12-14-2005, 03:29 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/drifter808/carphotos0491.jpg
heres a photo. My digital camera sucks so it is blurry but you can get a general idea.

SoSideways
12-14-2005, 10:10 PM
That pic was hard as hell to see, as it's squished together so badly that everything's outta proportion...

But yeah, those aren't the brakets that were in the way for this alternator, the main alternator bracket (the beefy one that bolts to the block) is the one that the alternator was hitting.

drifter808
12-14-2005, 10:49 PM
yeah sorry about the quality, i suck at modifying pictures and i dont have photo shop so i had to use paint which is terrible.

RSP13-Sideways
01-17-2006, 05:33 PM
That pic was hard as hell to see, as it's squished together so badly that everything's outta proportion...

But yeah, those aren't the brakets that were in the way for this alternator, the main alternator bracket (the beefy one that bolts to the block) is the one that the alternator was hitting.

Bringing this thread back from the dead because I'm installing my KA24D (1989 240SX) onto my RPS13 blacktop motor.

Anyway, the main bracket for the alternator IS hitting and I think you'll need to do some grinding to get it to fit properly. I havn't finished it yet and I'm not sure if I need to drill out the top hole or anything, I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

drifter808
01-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Bringing this thread back from the dead because I'm installing my KA24D (1989 240SX) onto my RPS13 blacktop motor.

You mean KA24E right. Post up the results when your finished.

RSP13-Sideways
01-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Well now I'm annoyed and ran into problems.

"the main alternator bracket (the beefy one that bolts to the block) is the one that the alternator was hitting."

This can be fixed by hammering in the piece that protrudes too far out. After everything is fixed, I managed to swap pulleys with no other problems. Everything bolted up fine EXCEPT that the pulley is 1/4" too far forward and the belt doesn't line up straight.

I don't know what else too do but grind the SR20DET pulley back 1/4" and then rebolt to the KA24E (thanks drifter808) alternator. Has anyone ran into this problem? Like I said, I'm using a KA24E alternator with a 1996 RPS13 Blacktop alternator. The swap is annoying and I'm tired.

drifter808
01-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Here i'll post all of the things that i had to do.

1. take the SR pulley and put it on the KA alternator but i had to grind down the area around the alternator to make the pulley fit. you'll see what i mean when your putting it on.

2. remove the bracket in the photo(i'll be putting up a new in a couple of seconds that not shrinked).

3. you can drill out the top alternator but i didn't. i just used the bolts from the KA but i had access to a spare one. The bolt goes through the back of the alternator and is different than the SR.

4. the alignment of the pulleys is not off very much. I have been driving like that for about a month now and no problems so i assume it is alligned well.

Let me go take some photos and i'll post them up.

drifter808
01-17-2006, 10:08 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/drifter808/carphotos2015.jpg

Sorry again for the crappy quality but my camera just sucks. The brackets in yellow are the ones i removed and then everything fit fine. hope this helps with your fitment issues.

RSP13-Sideways
01-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Here i'll post all of the things that i had to do.

1. take the SR pulley and put it on the KA alternator but i had to grind down the area around the alternator to make the pulley fit. you'll see what i mean when your putting it on.

2. remove the bracket in the photo(i'll be putting up a new in a couple of seconds that not shrinked).

3. you can drill out the top alternator but i didn't. i just used the bolts from the KA but i had access to a spare one. The bolt goes through the back of the alternator and is different than the SR.

4. the alignment of the pulleys is not off very much. I have been driving like that for about a month now and no problems so i assume it is alligned well.

Let me go take some photos and i'll post them up.

1. The SR pulley fit fine on the KA24E, I don't need to do anykind of grinding. If I take 1/4" off the back of the pulley (too line up straight with the crank pulley) then I'll need to shave the alternator down to clear. I'm thinking we might have different alternators or something?!

2. The bracket was removed.

3. I didn't have to drill anything actually. The bracket tensioning belt bolt screws into the backside of the alternator. Should I drill this out and just push the alternator flush with the bracket?

4. The alignment of my pulley is too far forward by 1/4" so I'm a bit worried that the belt might snap or break.

Try to answer some of these questions, but I'll take some pictures when I get home tonight.

drifter808
01-19-2006, 03:47 PM
yeah take some photos and i can try and help trouble shoot. My alternator pulley actually looks a little bit out of alignment but i have yet to break a belt and it seems to work pretty good.

RSP13-Sideways
01-19-2006, 11:11 PM
I'll get pics but how far out is your pulley because mines a little less than a 1/4". I mean it can't be good for the belt, but I have high performance V-Belts from Power Enterprises.