PDA

View Full Version : turbo and tranny question

sPooNae
05-07-2002, 09:06 PM
does anyone know if a stock KA24DE will handle a T04b turbo? if not what internals will i have to replace to handle it?

and will the KA24E tranny work with the DE engine? i need a clutch now but if it doesn't fit the DE engine.. i mind as well get the swap first

thanks alot!

Ken

Jeff240sx
05-08-2002, 12:11 AM
Umm.  The clutch on the sohc engine is different, or at least has a different part number on it.  
The tranny will work, so Ive been told, but why the hell would you want to do that?  Think of the mileage on a s13 tranny.
And for slapping on a turbo.  I have to options here.  I can flame you for bieng a newb, or I can help you.  Just remember that.
Yes you can slap on a turbo onto our engines.  You can even push 30 psi on it.  It won't last long.  But you can.
Our engines are good to 3-4psi.  Then you have to add fuel.  If you have a SOHC engine, after adding fuel, 7 psi is about the most you'd wanna pump through.  DOHC you can go to 15 psi WITH PROPER TUNING.  And don't run 15 psi all day, please.  But 2 cars have done it, and one has hit 350rwhp on stock internals, and the other hit 317rwhp.
If you wanna run anything over 10psi on a DOHC engine, you should swap pistons, rods, rings, and get your block o-ringed for the very least.
And your t4b... is that a straight t4?  Even so, it is kinda small, and won't be good for high boost.  Boosteds14 has a t3/4b, and just judging by the compressor maps, will blow hot at high boost.  And he is in the market for a larger turbo.  The t4e is a little better for large flow.
But... if you already have the turbo, I'm not knocking you.  Boosteds14's car is the fastest one here AFIK, unless PSI240SX drops by.  And Boosted is running the b series, at 22 psi (or was it 24?).
-Jeff

sPooNae
05-08-2002, 08:00 AM
hmmm thx alot..

but i'll have to get new internals for sure anyways for the dohc so i guess it'll be alright... the t4's capable of going up to 21psi so i guess it's more than plenty.. i'm not looking for mad power.. just around 200-250ish?

so it's good..
any suggestions for the internals? if i just build a low compression engine now.. then slap on turbo later.. will it be ok or would i HAVE to add the turbo at the same time?

and about the clutch... damnit! so they're different?

thanks
Ken

boosteds14
05-08-2002, 10:01 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Boosteds14 has a t3/4b, and just judging by the compressor maps, will blow hot at high boost. &nbsp;And he is in the market for a larger turbo. &nbsp;The t4e is a little better for large flow.
But... if you already have the turbo, I'm not knocking you. &nbsp;Boosteds14's car is the fastest one here AFIK, unless PSI240SX drops by. &nbsp;And Boosted is running the b series, at 22 psi (or was it 24?).</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>

the b is not bad at all, it is almost the same as the e just the e has a bit better efficiancy. i ran it once at 24psi and 22psi at the track. its pushing it. i will still be going with the t3 turbine setup so i am looking at the hifi setup. as for tranny wise. nope, the stock tranny is not going to hold. mine is about to let go pretty soon. i boost at 15psi daily and the turbo doesnot feel like it is breaking up from being so small, although the tranny is making wierd noises now. i am looking for another tranny now so i can try to experiment and build it up.
as for your turbo setup, a straight t04b setup is big, you will be fine for high boost, a little more lag than the hybrid setup.
i would actually go with a t3/t04e or t3/t04b setup up.

Jeff240sx
05-08-2002, 10:46 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sPooNae @ May 08 2002,11:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hmmm thx alot..

but i'll have to get new internals for sure anyways for the dohc so i guess it'll be alright... the t4's capable of going up to 21psi so i guess it's more than plenty.. i'm not looking for mad power.. just around 200-250ish?

so it's good..
any suggestions for the internals? if i just build a low compression engine now.. then slap on turbo later.. will it be ok or would i HAVE to add the turbo at the same time?

and about the clutch... damnit! so they're different?

thanks
Ken</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
For 250hp, the transmission can hold the power with no problems.
I'm guessing that you will be buying a KA24DE to turbocharge, and you have an ka24e. &nbsp;If so, your tranny will bolt up to it, with perhaps a redrilled flywheel and not much else. &nbsp;
Why would you have to buy internals for the ka24de anyway? &nbsp;250rwhp is not a lot for our car. &nbsp;Just give it proper fuel management (large injectors, bigger pump, JWT ecu) and you can boost to 9psi. &nbsp;People hit 250rwhp at 6-7psi, so the limit of 9 will get more than your goal, without a rebuild.
And yeah, you can rebuild low comp engine, and turbo it later, but your car will be slower than before, due to the lower compression.
-Jeff

sPooNae
05-08-2002, 11:51 PM
cool thx alot guys

because my friend's giving me his 200,000km DE for free... sure i wouldn't have to fix anything?

if i can get 250 that easily then i'll most likely get a smaller turbo...

does the DOHC uses a different ecu than the SOHC??

Ken

CrazyGoofyWeirdGuy
05-09-2002, 03:52 PM
Here is where I would like to chirp in a little bit. I have 140,000 miles on my KA, and I am not sure on the full engine name. I thought it was a KA20DE but I dont know, its a 1991 240 SX Fastbak SE. BUT, I plan to rip out the old (140k miles) engine, and swap in a "younger" engine and a manual transmission. I would like to tear the motor down first, and build it to top performance to allow for 20+ boost, see what I can do with that. But I need help, I am a newbie, hands down I am learning about the 240, and cars in general. I dont know as much as I would like, but I am not afraid to admit when I am ignorant to a subject such as this.

In short, I need to know what I need to build up my engine, and my transmission.