PDA

View Full Version : Power steering problem

drfts14grl
11-09-2005, 02:22 PM
My car is tripin.... it is making that whining schreeching noise like its out of power steering fluid but I just recently refilled it and it is still full. Whats weird is it only makes this horrible noise when I turn the wheels pointing to the left. When I turn the wheels pointing to the right it does not make the whining ford sounding noise. I dunno if my wheels are hitting somethin (they are size 18x8 in the frt) or if I need to get some new tie rods? If someones got some tips it would be great its kinda embarrasing when I go to make a LH u-turn or somethin. THNX :ugh: :wtf:

OdessaS13
11-09-2005, 02:53 PM
its the power steering pump, i had the noise and after replacing it it went away. or it could be your rack and pinion. its wierd that it only does it when it turns left. does it make a whinning noise durring accelaration also?

Indolent
11-09-2005, 03:08 PM
you could buy my pump/rack =]

monkey7
11-09-2005, 03:25 PM
when parked or stop, fully turn the wheel, at lock the noise appears, its most likely the pump.

drfts14grl
11-09-2005, 11:50 PM
you could buy my pump/rack =]

how much r u sellin the pump for? is it for a 97 s14 model? I am not sure if the pumps are interchangeable between the s13 and s14 yrs. I am gonna check some other things out before I go and buy a pump though. Maybe if u still got it in a couple of days I'll b interested

drfts14grl
11-09-2005, 11:53 PM
Thnks for some of the tips of what it could be... although when I am goin through a turn it makes the noise the same as when I am at a complete stop but it only does it to the left side... I dunno if my wheels are rubbing something.... I gotta lift the car up and check it out under there.. R there any test for the power steering pump to check if it is still good? Thnks for the help

cotbu
11-10-2005, 07:58 AM
what type of fluid are you using? PS or ATF

Indolent
11-10-2005, 10:26 AM
i have s13 ones, make an offer, i can't tell you for sure that they're interchangeable but i don't see why not (cause i don't know), pm/aim me at markers td

drfts14grl
11-11-2005, 10:34 AM
It is power steering fluid....the regular pint bottles at kragen. I didn't put atf in there. ....
would anyone know if a bad tie rod would cause a noise? I still have the stock rods in there and I was lookin to upgrade those inner and outer but I dunno if it is causing the noise?

sw20>>s14
11-11-2005, 03:58 PM
it is odd that it only happens when turning to the left, but its most likely your pump...worn out pumps are very common due to the fact that people put PS fluid instead of automatic transmission fluid...

crioten
11-11-2005, 07:14 PM
yep, according to the fsm, youre supposed to use atf in the ps resivor

drifter808
11-11-2005, 09:45 PM
What is the main cause for using atf fluid cause i am having some power steering issues as well.

sw20>>s14
11-12-2005, 04:28 AM
the main cause is that your supposed to, nissan designed it that way...and most people/mechanics figure, PS=PS fluid...cant blame them, unless if you know how to read the english language because it is clearly labeled...

drfts14grl
11-14-2005, 12:28 PM
Good info I did not notice :rant2: I'd have to look at my filler cap again I think mine is in jap. that sucks how hard is it to change out a pump? and does anyone have a good one for sale for an s14 model 97?

Indolent
11-14-2005, 11:19 PM
yeah well i have s13 pump, but shouldn't be too hard to replace, might get fluid everywhere from disconnecting the hoses, prolly the hardest part is either taking off those hoses or loosening up the belt if you choose to take it off from the pump that way, i just loosened up the bolts on the bracket at an angle then screwed em' on, or was that for some other pump, i don't remember

quach
11-18-2005, 07:42 PM
weird i've had the same problem appear just a few days ago on my car too. it makes weird noises when turning to the right, but its fine to the left. im going to look into it cause it sounds alot like some sqeaking sound my right side suspension kind of makes when you bounce on it. but then again... i do remember putting ps fluid in my car not too long ago... argh ...ARGH!

ecuastyle84
11-21-2005, 04:31 PM
same thing happened to me the noise will come when i turned left, i found out that the left side of my power steering rack was shot, now i have no power steering. When parked w/o ps turning is hard to the the right but even harder when steering left cause the left side is shot, i searched everywhere to get another power steering rack but its hard, i found nothing :-(

OdessaS13
11-21-2005, 04:38 PM
yes some mechanics are goddamn retards...i had my ps pump replaced after it went out and they put ps fluid in there, now it leaking.

ka24deturbo
11-21-2005, 05:01 PM
It's 100% your P.S. pump, I had the same problem in my hatch. It's funny cause I thought it was a neighbor with his weed wacker! Then I started to hear it everyday when I parked in my garage.........I changed it out with a few of the other parts that needed tending to just so I wouldn't have to mess with those parts again.

Does anyone have a RB20 power steering pump? I need one!

trsilvias13
11-21-2005, 05:14 PM
i had the same problem in my old motor with the sr. so i took that out. easy fix, too bad you cant do that with the KA. In my current car, i want to find a pulley tensioner one where i can bolt on to the current location and some sort of spring loaded pulley so i can use anotehr belt and the tensioner will just hold the belt in place

aznpoopy
11-21-2005, 05:20 PM
check slack on your powersteering belt
get under the car and make sure the powersteering hardlines aren't bent
ATF in the powersteering resovoir only, no powersteering fluid

if that all checks out, then look at replacing the powersteering pump

Good info I did not notice I'd have to look at my filler cap again I think mine is in jap. that sucks how hard is it to change out a pump? and does anyone have a good one for sale for an s14 model 97?

its easy... drain it, unplug everything, unbolt it, bolt the new one in, plug everything in, fill it, then turn the car on and with the wheels in the air, turn the wheel back and forth like 50 times. done and done. you can leave the belt dangling. just remember to slide it back on as you're bolting the new one on. another thing to watch for is keeping the banjo bolt aligned with the hardline. there are two washers on it that you need... don't lose them.

drfts14grl
12-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Thanks for all the info... I still have not changed anything, no cash...I dont think that I want to take the belt off for the time being though cause I need my PS.

Pacman
12-04-2005, 12:38 AM
Thanks for all the info... I still have not changed anything, no cash...I dont think that I want to take the belt off for the time being though cause I need my PS.
...and your water pump. Its all connected to one belt. Mine was making the same noise. I replaced the pump and the rubber hoses and bled new ATF in it. Works flawlessly. You need to replace the pump. I know its $150 (+/- $5) at Kragen.

projectRDM
12-04-2005, 07:15 AM
And to answer your question from above, any 91-98 KA pump will work fine, they're all the same.