PDA

View Full Version : SR20DET Crank angle sensor position?!?!

luke20
05-07-2002, 10:07 PM
My Sr20 was shipped with the crank angle sensor out of the motor.  How do I set the correct timing before I fire it up?
Also, how should It sit bolted down (dead center, or to either direction)?

luke20
05-07-2002, 10:38 PM
i mean cam angle sensor

sideways180
05-09-2002, 12:05 AM
luke,

it's jay, you have to pull the valve cover off your motor to put the crank angle sensor in it properly.  there is markings on the CAS that line up with markings on the cam.  you have to set everything at top dead center, then slide the CAS in so everything lines up.  it's in the S14 manual on the silvia australia site or on the copy i got.  bring me a blank CD and i can make you a copy.

tristarx
05-09-2002, 03:07 PM
1) Set the car at TDC by lining up to the 2nd timing mark to the left.  You can verify if it's TDC by inserting a stick into the 1st spark plug well and it will protrude to the utmost position before it sinks back down.

2) Pull the valve cover, loosen the 2 12mm CAS and pull it out.

3) Line up the CAS timing marks.  You line the base mark (the very bottom one) to the middle dot on the right:

!

4) Then carefully and insert the CASE back in its place and the exhaust cam gear teeth will move the CAS timing mark by lining up to the top left dot:

!

5) Verify that the base mark is lined up to the top dot on the left, you lock down the CAS carefully, and put the everything back together.

I hope my illustration is understandable.

Wayne
Phase 2

luke20
05-09-2002, 07:54 PM
OK, first of all, thanks for the help.  A while back I learned how to do this from someone else online.  All they said to do was: Take off the valve cover, turn the crank untill the shiny links of the timing chain were lined up with the marks on the cam gears, and you have T.O.C..

luke20
05-09-2002, 08:01 PM
OK, first of all, thanks for the help.  A while back I learned how to do this from someone else online.  Their advice was to find Top Dead Center by first reomving the valve cover, then turning the crank until the shiny links on the timing chain lined up with the marks on the cam gears.  then all that's left is to line up the orange mark on the Crank Angle Sensor, and put it in.  Well, I did this, and then someone said that there was a pin on the crank pulley that needed to be lined up, too.  I never even looked on the crank pulley.  Anyway, the motor idles fine, so I think the CAS is in right, but I wanted to make sure before I drive it.  So, thanks guys.  Thanks Jay.

luke20
05-09-2002, 08:03 PM
ok, never mind the first attempt, and I meant to say CAM ANGLE SENSOR, not crank angle sensor.  Again.

tristarx
05-10-2002, 02:19 AM
The timing chain itself is just like a bicycle chain.  Out of the spots on the chain, there will be THREE chain spots that will be different color than the rest of the chain.  That is becuase 2 chain spots is to line up with the circle timing marks on the intake and exhaust cam sprockets.  When they lined up, the 3rd spot is lined up to the crank (you can't see it).

In able to line up the chain with the circle on the cam sprocket, you will need to keep turning the crank until they line up.  Sometime it takes as much as 15-20+ turns.  Most often people line them up when they are about to lift the cylinder head.  Another benefit is to see if your timing chain 'skipped' tooth, if so you will never line up the 2 timing marks to the cam sprockets.

Anyhow, those are just some additioinal info for reference, I highly recommend everyone to either grab a actual S14 FSM or go d/l the free copy of S14 FSM and get yourself familiar with the mechanics of the SR motor.  It makes trouble shooting much easier.

Good luck.

Wayne
Phase 2