PDA

View Full Version : how do you adjust rear toe?

kenversusryu
11-04-2005, 06:47 AM
i know the toe is adjusted by the stock lower arm on the rear. But how do alignment shops actually adjust it?

On the chilton, it mentions a bolt you turn on the chassis side of the arm (opposite of the knuckle or wheel side) which faces the front of the car. But i was wondering how exactly do you go about doing it? Do you just turn? HOw many revolutions per degree?

I'm reading up on DIY's camber and toe measure so i'm attempting to do this myself but really no clue on how to adjust rear toe on the stock arm.

Thanks in advanced.

BTW, I know getting an adjustable toe arm would help, but i dont have one and that's that. d=)

jmauld
11-04-2005, 07:18 AM
Honestly, the rear toe is best left to an alignment shop. They have equipment that makes it easy to get it straight.

If you're set on doing it yourself, you can use toe plates to set the toe between the rear tires. The plates lay against each tire, and you measure the difference in distance between the front and rear of the rear tires. You will also need to pick a central point on the chassis to measure, to be sure that the tires are straight with the chassis and just not straight to each other.

anthony240
11-04-2005, 09:30 AM
eccentric bolts, if you look under the car from the rear, they're near the diff mounts.
loosen the nut on the other side of the arm so you can turn the bolt.
but i agree just get an alignment.
although I have adjusted my toe before, and even a little toe out is scary, especially in the rain on the freeway, car is wiggly.

kenversusryu
11-04-2005, 05:25 PM
thanks for the replies. I have measured my toe myself and they're a little in. i was just wondering how much i turn that eccentric bolt? full revolution(s) or just quarter/half turns?

jmauld
11-04-2005, 05:30 PM
1 full turn will put you right back where you started. You should make very small adjustments to that bolt.

kenversusryu
11-04-2005, 05:42 PM
thanks guys. That helps alot.

Foolish
12-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Eventually, I'll get mine done by professionals but, I looked at my rear tires the other day and the passenger rear has some major toe in going on!

Thanks for the info guys!

fliprayzin240sx
12-10-2012, 12:03 PM
If you're low, the eccentric bolts is probably out of adjustment. You're only option would be an aftermarket toe arm.