PDA

View Full Version : How do you drain the Power Steering Fluid?

240silvia
11-01-2005, 09:48 PM
What's the best way to drain the fluid, without making a huge mess???? I searched and found nothing!

-Chares

OdessaS13
11-01-2005, 11:52 PM
take it to a mechanic, thell make a big mess, u just wont have to care :)

but seriusly, i tried searching for u so i can say " u didnt search hard enough" :) but this is the closest i found

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/18/0e/de/0900823d80180ede.jsp

240silvia
11-02-2005, 03:31 PM
I searched on here, not on the damn autozone site. And no, I'm not going to take it to a mechanic to drain some fluid, that's just plain stupid. And I don't need to know how to take the pump off. I just didn't know if there was a way to get the fluid out of the pump without making a huge mess, but, I guess i don't have any other option.

Al_S14
11-02-2005, 03:41 PM
you cant just drain the fluid out of a rack there is no drain plug. there is also no service interval for ps fluid its not meant to be "drained". take it to a dealer or some other shop and ask for a Power stearing flush. its main purpose is to replace old fluid and it will not make any kind of mess.

krustindumm
11-02-2005, 03:59 PM
to drain it:
remove the feed line to the pump from the reservoir, and drain into a container
remove the belt and pressure line from the pump and spin the pump, pumping the fluid into a container
remove the return line from the rack to the reservoir from the rack, crank steering back & forth, forcing fluid out into a container

Be warned, it is sometimes difficult to bleed the system after this.

This works much easier, and if done correctly gets requires no bleeding. Most machines only can do a 98% flush, this will do just as well.

To flush it the poor man's way, remove the return line from the rack to the reservoir from the reservoir and point it into a container. Put a funnel into the reservoir, have about a gallon of fluid on hand in a container that pours easy (old coolant jug works). Have a friend start the car and crank the wheel lock to lock as you pour fluid into the reservoir. Watch the level carefully, and shut the car off before you run out. Also watch the fluid comming out of the return line to see if it comes out clean.