PDA

View Full Version : L28 into S14?

WanganRunner
10-25-2005, 11:15 AM
I have searched my ass off both on several forums and google, and I can't for the life of me find any reference whatsoever to anyone having ever put an L28 (or any L-series block) into an S-chassis car.

Granted, there isn't any particularly stand-out reason for anyone to do it beyond novelty, but I'm still surprised that it hasn't been done. Stranger things have certainly happened.

So I suppose what I'd like to know is, can anyone think of anything that would keep it from being workable? I don't have a sense for how much longer an L28 block is compared to, say, an RB26, as we know the RB26 at least fits in an S14. Aside from just the size of the engine itself, can anyone think of anything else? (assume standalone EMS as a given).

Before I get inundated with venemous replies, let me say that I am not, at present, seriously considering this swap, I just think that it would make for an interesting alternative seeing as how the engines are fairly cheap to come by but yet can make very serious power in either NA (3.1L stroked) or turbocharged form. I'm asking out of academic curiosity, not out of any (immediate) practical aspirations.

PROJECTRB240SX
10-25-2005, 11:25 AM
PAGE 4: http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=89196

WanganRunner
10-25-2005, 11:41 AM
lol, thanks.

I have no idea how my search strings didn't find that.

Well hell, this sounds a lot easier than I thought it was gonna be. I had no idea that the L28 was so closely related to the KA.

In case anyone's wondering why I'm even thinking about this.....what can I say...I was born 20 years too late? I'll pass up sequential twin turbos and 6-piston brakes for ITB's, rivet-on flares, watanabes, and fender mirrors any day of the week, and I've never seen an S14 built-out old-school style before.

I want a badass NA S14, not because it'll be faster than anything or blah blah blah, but just because I want one. All the NA Nissan engines that I really want, I can't have (FJ24, SR16VE N1, S20, etc..), so I figure the next best thing is a 3.1L L28 with sidedrafts ;)

wootwoot
10-25-2005, 11:58 AM
an rb30 would suck way less =P

PROJECTRB240SX
10-25-2005, 12:19 PM
High Compression Rb30de Would Be Awesome.... Something Like A 11.5:1 Compression, Tweakit Itb's, And Long Tube Headers Would Make A Killer Na Straight 6!

WanganRunner
10-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Yeah, RB30 is another one I've thought about. I think that it would be a cooler swap, although the L28 has the upside of being fairly easy to find in the US, while an RB30, comparatively speaking, is anything but... I can go pick up a running L28 for a few hundred bucks.

I've seen pics of some wicked hi-comp RB30's with ITB's. The RB30DE was *not* a production engine, correct? As I understand it, only the RB30E and RB30ET were production engines. Now, I know precious little about this, so there's a good chance I'm just totally wrong. Anyone know for sure?

PROJECTRB240SX
10-25-2005, 12:51 PM
No, The Rb30de Was Not A Production Engine.... But It Was Used In Nissan Racing. There Was A 320whp 11.5:1 Rb30de On The Net Before Which Would Be Pretty Awesome For A Na Engine.

The Rb30de Requires The Rb30e Block, Rb25de(t) Or Rb26dett Head, And A Redrilled Timing Tensioner And 11 Tooth Longer Belt. This Would Make A 7.8-8.2:1 Compression Engine Which You Would Need To Mill The Head Or Get Custom Pistons To Raise Compression To Your Prefered Level.

drift freaq
10-25-2005, 01:41 PM
Like I said in the previous thread covering this very topic , WHY? The L28 at this time is an ancient piece of shit. The L24 and L26 were pretty dope in their day. In their day!!! You have a modern car and you want to put a engine that was not known to have the greatest stroke or rev that well in place of an engine that does not have a great stroke or rev that well. Trust these guys above and go with a RB even if its normally aspirated and stroked to the RB30. Don't waste your time or money on the L28 even if you owned a Z car. RB is a much more sophisticaed engine that has a broad flat torque and power band and revs ten times better.

WanganRunner
10-25-2005, 02:43 PM
Drift freaq:

I am well aware of the various ways the RB is superior to the L28, and I don't disagree with any one of them.

However,

A.) I recall specifically saying that I was not seriously considering this, and was asking more just out of curiosity. This statement was included SOLELY to deflect "OMG Why don't you just use an Essartwinny, or RB, or KA-T, or whateverthefuck)" comments. I know there are more practical alternatives, I'm not disputing that, that's not the point of the post.

B.) You can pick up a very solid running L28 for like $300, and parts are everywhere. This is most definitely not the case with *any* RB platform, at least not in the United States.

C.) Maybe I don't give a shit which one revs better. Did that occur to you? Anyone who's even remotely considering doing something as wack-assed as putting an L28 into an S14 isn't doing it for purposes of building a serious performance contender, they're just doing it because that's what they want and that's the end of it. In my particular case, I just think that it'd be pretty fucking boss to have an S14 that's built up in true 1970's fashion, complete with F8F's, an external oil cooler, and carbs. Not because I want to show it, race it, or because I think anyone else will give a shit, just because I want one, period.

All this said, I don't want to come off like a dick. I know that you know way the hell more about all things RB than I do, and I'm certainly not trying to question your technical grasp of the subject, more just clarifying the point of the post so I don't continually have to defend why I asked the question in the first place.

breakindrifts
10-25-2005, 05:36 PM
I would suggest getting a car made in the 70's if you want "true 1970's fashion" S14 is too modern of a car to make retro. I'd pick up a 240z for cheap, and you could go all out with making it jdm 70's.

MurdarioStomp
10-26-2005, 02:19 PM
just throw a SR in it and sell it....then use the money to buy another older car to do it to...