PDA

View Full Version : how to use an altima radiator in an s13

ceniack
10-22-2005, 01:21 AM
just have to make it fit. i put one in my car after my stock one with the plastic end tanks got a huge crack in it. i also went ahead and put in the altima fans while i was at it.

there are a couple of advantages to the altima radiator.

1: the end tanks are not plastic
2: it is at least twice as thick as te stock s13 radiator

how i did it:

take off your stock intake, fan shroud, and clutch fan. also remove the stock airbox and all that jazz as well.

disconnect the radiator hoses and let the radiator drain into a drain pan.

take off the radiator mounting brackets.

now, take your altima radiator, and bend the metal edges inward (making the radiator just barely narrow enough to fit between the frame rails) be carefull doing this as you don't want to damage the tubes in the radiator,

take a dremel and trim the plastic on the fan shround down a little bit, also take your dremmel (or a grinder or anything else that can remove metal) and cut the thin metal that is between the tension rod brackets and make it even with the rest of the front part of the frame (hard to explain i will try and get some pics up soon)

also, take the dremmel and dremel down the drain plug (the thing you use your fingers to loosten) and make it flush with the rest of the radiator, being careful not to damage the part that actually does the plugging.

you will also want to take your hammer bend the battery tray inward to make some more room.

now, take the radiator and put it into place, it may take a little bit of work as it is a tight fit, but the lower pins that stick out of the bottom of the radiator that slip into the frame will line up with the stock location on s13. now, close your hood with the radiator cap on to check for clearance, some more modification may be necessary to get everything to fit, (the bottom of the radiator should be resting flush on top of the frame)

since the radiator outlet on the bottom of the altima radiator is on the other side, you are going to have to get a long enough section of hose (or attach a couple pieces together with couplers) to get it to work.

what i did was took a 90 degree bend of radiator hose, and about a 16in piece of pipe, attaching one of of the pipe to the 90 degree bend with hose clamps, and the other end of the pip to the stock lower radiator hose.

to keep the top of the radiator from moving i juse used some zip ties, but it probably wouldn't be hard to make some custom brackets to hold it.

now would also be a good time to wire up the altima (or any other electric fans)

the stock clutch fan may work with this set up, but the stock shroud will not without modification, but i have no way to confirm either of these as i didn't bother trying to do it.

now, fill up the radiator and bleed the air out of the system and enjoy your inexpensive radiator upgrade.