PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Turbo Outlet Gains?

nissantuner22
10-20-2005, 04:04 PM
Anyone have any dyno evidence of gains with aftermarket turbo outlets, such as the greddy, tomei, or even ebay knock offs? I just got a JDM outlet, not quite sure which brand it is, and was wondering if anyone has actually done some testing with the various brands. I've read people claiming 5-10 HP, but whats the real dilly yo.

i-love-my-s14
10-20-2005, 07:41 PM
I dont have any dyno numbers proving what it does, but after I put mine on I could definately feel the difference. Turbo spooled much faster, and I could tell that it gained a little hp. I have the greddy one.

But if anybody has any dyno numbers proving what it does I would also like to see them.

S14DB
10-20-2005, 09:32 PM
This is going to be a hard one to get differential dyno's on. Cause people usually do other parts at the same time.

WILDACEX187
10-20-2005, 09:42 PM
cant be that much of a gain though. it will make the exhaust bigger than the stock elbow which will flow better. u know your exhaust is only as good as your smallest point....or thats wat i read somewhere

nissantuner22
10-20-2005, 10:46 PM
right, the bottleneck of the exhaust is what the entire system flows is what I read once. Naturally having a larger turbo outlet will aid in the flow of exhaust gas. I never understand why people upgrade to a 3 inch or larger exhaust and retain the stock elbow.

It would be nice to see a dyno comparision though. stock vs aftermarket, all other things equal.

Heres some snaps of mine that I picked up for 25 bucks, compliments JDM Addiction, here in florida.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/nissantuner22/100_0610.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/nissantuner22/100_0611.jpg

Any clues on what this one is?

S14DB
10-20-2005, 11:54 PM
AOL teh suxors. Get Photobucket or something.

orion::S14
10-21-2005, 07:10 AM
right, the bottleneck of the exhaust is what the entire system flows is what I read once...

That's kinda true...but really only applies to incompressible fluids, like water.

A hose can only flow as much as the smallest point, b/c water cannot be compressed.

Since exhaust gas is compressible, a bottleneck will reduce flow and cause a little backpressure...but the smallest point does not determine max flow.

- Brian

golfer17
10-21-2005, 07:50 PM
That's kinda true...but really only applies to incompressible fluids, like water.

A hose can only flow as much as the smallest point, b/c water cannot be compressed.

Since exhaust gas is compressible, a bottleneck will reduce flow and cause a little backpressure...but the smallest point does not determine max flow.

- Brian

you beat me to it.

anyways, as with other parts in the exhaust system, i wouldnt expect too much of a gain in hp until the boost is really turned up or other upgrades are added. its still a great item though, and i would definitely get one with a divided portion for the wastegate, it should definitely help out exhaust flow at the top end where the wastegate really opens up. a separate dump tube for the wastegate is optimal, but since noone really makes one for it (i think because the steering column is in the way, and makes it harder to do), if you get one custom made, make sure to account for where it is flowing all the hot exhaust gas, and keep it from burning anything up.

nissantuner22
10-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the insight guys. I suppose that makes sense, it adds backpressure, but not as big of a factor as i thought it was.

docrice
10-24-2005, 11:19 AM
faster spool up seems to be the biggest effect people are getting from switching to a bigger elbow...and that certainly makes sense considering that any real backpressure = bad for a turbo exhaust...