PDA

View Full Version : 97 KA in s13 hatch? help plz

kinamonster
10-18-2005, 07:54 PM
Hey guys i was wondering if anyone has had to swap a 97 KA in a s13 hatch if so plz let me know everything i need to do in detail. I've heard you need to swap intake manifolds but if theres anything else plz let me know. Thank you for your time.

Minoru

beetlejuice
10-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Use your s13 DOHC intake and exhaust manifolds and all related sensors.

Use your s13 DOHC distributor and external coil.

Use your s13 DOHC wiring harness.

Use your s13 DOHC ecu.

Plug and play.

Hardest part will be making sure the #1 cylinder is at TDC when installing the s13 distributor and getting the timing just right.

KA-T.org has an excellent tech article explaining this process.

kinamonster
10-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Excellent!!!!! thank you very much.

Minoru

JigokuZ
10-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Can't you swap everything.. and make it a OBDII?

projectRDM
10-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Can't you swap everything.. and make it a OBDII?

Yes. But why? It will only need to meet emissions standards for the chassis year, making it OBD-II compliant is a lot of wasted effort.

that180guy
10-20-2005, 12:51 AM
trust me, i know personally what a pain in the ass it is to do a complete swap.

JigokuZ
10-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Yes. But why? It will only need to meet emissions standards for the chassis year, making it OBD-II compliant is a lot of wasted effort.

I just thought that it would be easier when trouble shooting... than a OBDII...

But I can see why it would be a pain in the ass...

bongnak
10-21-2005, 06:45 PM
going through the same thing right now... cant you just run the 97 harness with ecu and everything it comes with.
run the motor as if the motor thinks its in a s14

projectRDM
10-22-2005, 08:04 AM
You haven't searched a bit, but I'll be nice. The ECU doesn't care what car it's in, neither does the car care what ECU it has.

The S14 wiring harness makes all it's connections in the car at the F3 plug, whereas the S13 has several connectors under the hood. The A/C wiring is completely different between chassis and hard to integrate, and the OBD-II install would require fitting of the EVAP canister somewhere under the car. It's not impossible (I've done one for a friend), but when you can basically plug it all in and do the swap in under an hour using S13 parts it doesn't seem sensible to go any other route.

that180guy
10-22-2005, 01:38 PM
lol, i wish i knew that b4 i went ahead.

and isnt it the F4 plug? and you splice i tnk 8 or 10 wires for all the important stuff into the F8 and F10 plug on the s13 body harness. and u leave out a whole bunch of junk. it just takes time alot of time cross refernencing which wire goes where from the s14 and a13 fsm. took me about 3hrs todo that, splice the wires, solder, shrink wrap, clean up,etc. u could get it done faster as for i like to take my time.

its a whole lot easier to source the s13 parts needed, well mainly the dist.
harness, ebay it.