PDA

View Full Version : Torque Converter

jd-17
10-17-2005, 10:23 PM
I have a 92 240sx coupe with an auto tranny and 119k on it. Recently my torque converter came loose and i had to get it fixed for $300. After 2 days of driving it it came loose again. What could be causing this problem?

(yes i did search but noone's thread was related to this)

projectRDM
10-17-2005, 10:49 PM
How do you mean loose? There's four bolts that secure it to the flexplate. There's really no other way for it go anywhere.

jd-17
10-17-2005, 11:01 PM
they came loose as in coming off the flex plate...the first time i could understand
because the bolts were chopped up beyond belief but it just happened again :rl:

S14DB
10-17-2005, 11:09 PM
Thread Locker?

I thought you were getting a Prelude?

jd-17
10-18-2005, 04:44 AM
i thought i was too but that was before i found out that it was only the coverter and not the flex plate

Rezlo
10-18-2005, 04:51 AM
alot of those nissans suffer from the hole stripping a bit, which is why all my highstalls I sell come with grade 8 bolts with a special thread locker already on them.

Try get some new bolts and use a serious thread lock, if that doesnt work I can try get you just the bolts but normaly i sell the high stall converters with bolts shipped for $360, if you need new converter bolts just for that email me at [email protected] and ill get them for you.

jd-17
10-18-2005, 12:40 PM
alot of those nissans suffer from the hole stripping a bit, which is why all my highstalls I sell come with grade 8 bolts with a special thread locker already on them.

Try get some new bolts and use a serious thread lock, if that doesnt work I can try get you just the bolts but normaly i sell the high stall converters with bolts shipped for $360, if you need new converter bolts just for that email me at [email protected] and ill get them for you.
yea but thats the thing the bolts are brand new and it still came loose so i have a feeling it has something to do with the flexplate threads or it could even be the converter itself....im getting it back today with the bolts re-installed and ill post back in this thread if anything happenes to it

Rezlo
10-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Flex plate doesnt have threads its just like a metal plate, sounds like either the bolts are not the right thread pitch (funky size) or the converters tab's/Lugs are stripped out.

Ill be interested to hear to because most of my 300zx cores ive been collecting have similar trouble, im going to start cryo treating the backing plates to prevent this problem,

jd-17
10-18-2005, 02:18 PM
yea if you figure out a quick fix that would be great because it wouold really piss me off if i cant accelerate normal for now on

jd-17
10-18-2005, 02:27 PM
hey rezlo i have a question about these high stall converters if you get on aim

edit: after driving it for an hour it runs great.....the person who helped me fix it decided what the hell lets weld the damn bolts in so we did...anyone having this problem needs to just have them welded in and it runs the same as it did before the problem

RBPoster
09-10-2011, 04:34 AM
I have a 92 240sx coupe with an auto tranny and 119k on it. Recently my torque converter came loose and i had to get it fixed for $300. After 2 days of driving it it came loose again. What could be causing this problem?

(yes i did search but noone's thread was related to this)

I'm sorry, but How much was the Torque converter itself?

fliprayzin240sx
09-10-2011, 06:06 AM
I'm sorry, but How much was the Torque converter itself?

Holy raising zombie threads from the grave...did you even look at the dates on this thread? You could have just PM'd people instead of resurecting the damn thing. What makes you think these people would look in a 6 yr old thread to answer your question? I'm not even sure if they're even still around here still...