PDA

View Full Version : Head damage, is it repairable?

reverend_sean
10-17-2005, 06:05 PM
So I was cleaning up a DET head that I purchased and realized that there is damage to a cam seat(journal, race, ?). I know nothing about the life of the head. Is this kind of damage repairable, is the head totally shot, could it be run if the rough parts were smoothed out and polished? The scoring does go into the the metal a tiny bit, but not a ton.

reverend_sean
10-17-2005, 06:21 PM
here is a link to more pics.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=986759583106&page=1&photo_count=5&

reverend_sean
10-18-2005, 10:05 AM
doesn't anyone have a clue? Little help here guys. bump for no love

TheWolf
10-18-2005, 11:53 AM
well that's caused by particulate matter entering the oil system from the spun rod or main bearing in the lower end... grinding away at the cam and head, releasing more material into the system and then cycling through again. Um. Yes and no on the fix. You can try and get your cam journals align honed and get that mess worked out but it's not cheap and its difficult to tell from the pictures how deep the scorring is. That will determine it's use. You can get that part welded up and the journal align bored and honed but that would probably run around $500 and you could just get another head core. I thinks you got screwed. Hope you have a good refund policy where you got the head from.

Al_S14
10-18-2005, 01:07 PM
i wount not bother fixing it .. dont think its duable at all since without being able to put different size bearings and then check oil clearance it pretty much impossible. id replace the head.
PS i do have one for sale if you need it.

reverend_sean
10-22-2005, 12:27 AM
It is actually a DPR head. Sucks even more!!!