PDA

View Full Version : 95 S14... to sell, or not to sell... that is the question! problems galore...

dosborn
09-28-2005, 05:26 PM
okay dudes and dudetees. my unmodded 127,000 mile 95 240 5 speed has been a great little ride. it's starting to get a little rough around the corners, though. the clutch is going (throwout bearing, i think... it seems to be losing pressure as i drive- sometimes i have to move the pedal back up with my foot), the engine is rattling a bit (timing chain?), the interior is soured from the leaky sunroof(fiberglass trim peice is busted, thus the rubber weatherstrip can't stay in place), the power steering leaks, causing a horrible *GROAN* everytime i turn the wheel when the fluid gets low (every few days), it seems to use a little oil, the exhaust is rusted, the a/c doesn't work on anything except the highest setting, among other small annoyances.

SO... my question to all of you S14 gurus out there IS... about how much would it cost to repair the car... all of the major things listed above. is it worth keeping and fixing the car that is in that shape? will i be making regular trips to the service shop from now on? i just graduated college, and really didn't have enough money to fix every problem as they popped up. now that i have a little (note-LITTLE) income coming in, i can take care of the problems. BUTT... i'm thinking about trading the 'san off for a slightly used mercedes c230 coupe, mini cooper, prelude, or something of the sorts. ANY help in approximating the costs of fixing my ride would be GREATLY appreciated. at this point, i'm trying to decide if it's worth saving. :fruit:

-usmd-180sx
09-28-2005, 06:13 PM
take it to a service shop and ask how much the "major" problems would cost ya to fix. I would go around and get more than 1 quote from different places. Its really up to you if you want to keep and fix up those problems or trade it..

IMO, even tho my own car has little annoyances.. i wouldnt trade it in for the world. And even tho 240s are dime a dozen now, I cant think of tradin mine in.

Good luck to ya in whatever ya do man. ;)

aznpoopy
09-28-2005, 06:21 PM
it would cost a decent chunk of change if you take it to the dealer
it would cost a smaller but decent bit of money if you take it to a garage
it would cost you very little if you do most if not all the work yourself

the 1995 isn't worth much money on trade in either

420sx
09-28-2005, 06:48 PM
not worth it. sell it to me. thank you

omgosh
09-28-2005, 07:59 PM
Fix your hydraulics problems(clutch, p/s), not too much money at the junkyard and straightforward..

Search around for the A/C problem, its a common thing. I think you need to replace some sort of switch.

You could grab an SSAC exhaust off ebay for like $150.

The sunroof I would take to an auto-glass shop. Nissan wont sell that fiberglass part alone, at least thats what they told me. They wanted to sell me a whole sunroof for $500. I think a glass shop would be able to take care of it for not too much tho.

Anyway, Id fix it myself. The problems you have arent really that bad, and easy to fix. You'll learn something at the same time too. Make sure you download the Factory Service Manual!

projectRDM
09-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Part it out. That's one less car on the road to be ruined by 'the kids'. If we can keep it up, there won't be any good cars left and we'll finally go back to the way it was before the bandwagon.

dosborn
09-28-2005, 10:46 PM
thanks for the replies, dudes! i'll probably think it over for a few weeks. if i can find a decent mercedes c230, i might not can control myself, lol!

Nissan wont sell that fiberglass part alone, at least thats what they told me. They wanted to sell me a whole sunroof for $500.
that's a LOT cheaper than the quote i got my from local dealer... $1200!!!!! NOT including labor... i found a used full sunroof on car-parts.com for $50. any idea how hard it is to install?

trsilvias13
09-29-2005, 12:41 AM
build a race car.. go with a sr .. will have lower miles usually, run no p/s, no a/c buy new clutch. pretty much fix a lot of things there. sheet metal the sunroof

Fidel_Castro
09-29-2005, 01:29 AM
I <3 my S14....even though its an auto...I wouldnt trade it for the world. while the S13 are a dime a dozen I find the S14 much harder to find, guess most of them have already been wraped around a tree.

-usmd-180sx
09-29-2005, 02:03 AM
I <3 my S14....even though its an auto...I wouldnt trade it for the world. while the S13 are a dime a dozen I find the S14 much harder to find, guess most of them have already been wraped around a tree.

:stupid:

Probably no s14s in So cal cause all you guys down there get your shit jacked everyday of the week.. Or in SD atleast =).. But up here in norcal.. theres plenty of S14s...But it is true to find s14s... in good condition atleast.. And even more true with s13s.. its more like Penny a dollars for s13s tho.

projectRDM
09-29-2005, 08:48 AM
that's a LOT cheaper than the quote i got my from local dealer... $1200!!!!! NOT including labor... i found a used full sunroof on car-parts.com for $50. any idea how hard it is to install?

Glass is secured with six 10mm nuts from underneath, 2 minute job. The entire assembly isn't much worse, drop the ehadliner and you'll figure it out in just a second. Easy.

U12Bluebird
01-20-2006, 01:40 PM
For the clutch, bleed the system.

Edit: Shit, didn't realize it was an old thread. Oh well

infinitexsound
01-20-2006, 03:59 PM
what an old thread.... decription is whats exactly the same as my car...

mods LOCK