PDA

View Full Version : why does my clutch's hydraulic system build up "extra" pressure?

d r i f t swift
09-26-2005, 05:40 PM
heres the deal. just finished the 5spd swap, took out the clutch dampener box, rebuilt the slave cylinder, using a used master cylinder from the jy.

now the problem.. bled the clutch thought it was fine until i drove it and realized it was slipping. so i jacked the car up to check if the clutch was disengaging all the way..so i backed off the bleed screw on the slave cylinder and the clutch pushed the slave cylinder rod back in. so i was driving the car with the clutch half way disengaged. the next morning the same thing happened. so my question is why the hell does it do that? it builds up "extra" pressure almost instantly if anyone can help me out id appreciate it thanks.

kandyflip445
09-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Restricted line, pedal free play or the MC cup seals aren't working right. You could try a new MC and see if it works right.

ranisron
09-26-2005, 07:40 PM
kandy, what do you mean by MC cup seals? The rounded rubber seal inside the MC cap??

kandyflip445
09-26-2005, 07:46 PM
They're the rubber cup seals that are in the cylinder of the MC. Part of the moving assembly.

240Stilo
09-26-2005, 09:10 PM
rebuilt the slave cylinder, using a used master cylinder from the jy.

If you didn't make a typo then that is probably the problem. First of all, seals should be new if you're planing on rebuilding something. Second, using master cylinder parts to rebuild a slave cylinder? I aint hearda dat....

kandyflip445
09-26-2005, 11:23 PM
I'm pretty sure he meant that he rebuilt the slave and is using a MC from the junkyard.

d r i f t swift
09-27-2005, 01:54 AM
well i put in a new master cylinder and that wasnt the problem.. the "extra" pressure wasnt really extra, the slave cylinder somehow was getting stuck halfway out so i replaced the slave cylinder and that seemed to do it. well for now. we'll see what happens tomorrow

orion::S14
09-27-2005, 07:00 AM
Typically, if it works fine, then builds up presure as you drive...you have too little clutch pedal freeplay, and need to adjust the rod on the clutch pedal.

Do it 1/2 a turn at a time...keep adjusting, then drive it...if it builds pressure again, add more freeplay, then drive it again, etc...

- Brian