PDA

View Full Version : Clutch chatter

s13speeddrft
09-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Ok so lately I have been getting a lot of clutch chatter when starting off at stop lights but in every other gear it holds perfect...I know the clutch isn't slipping so what is the problem. Could it be that my pressure plate is worn out?
Thanks

altitude
09-23-2005, 12:12 PM
maybe you hav worn out motor and/or tranny mounts?

smily_vigor
09-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Ok so lately I have been getting a lot of clutch chatter when starting off at stop lights but in every other gear it holds perfect...I know the clutch isn't slipping so what is the problem. Could it be that my pressure plate is worn out?
Thanks

Normally Clutch chatter happens when your flywheel needs to be resurfaced. It's sounds like you know for sure it isn't the clutch being finished because you probably just changed it. Normally it's good practice to resurface the flywheel when you change a clutch because it's probably grooved from the previous clutch you had installed, and now with the new one the surface is uneven resulting in "chatter." This never happened on my 240sx but I did have that problem on my Acura a that's what the problem ended up being.

s13speeddrft
09-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. It didn't use to have chatter but just recently the chatter began thats why im trying to figure out what it could be.

bboyt3nsk
09-23-2005, 07:14 PM
Well what happened to me is my pressure plate started going bad and eventually a finger broke off and went stright thru my bellhousing...youll know if you hear lil pings...

not to scare you, just to make you aware :wavey:

What SMILEY VIGOR said is the usually case and hes prolly right