PDA

View Full Version : Transmission question

Drifternate
09-19-2005, 02:38 PM
I have an S13 SR in my S14 and I have a slight tranny leak where the both big sections come together. Lately Ive noticed a slight grind when hard shifting and I added some tranny fluid but not too much because I didnt want to overfill it. I was wondering if there is some way to gauge the level from the shifter hole. If not, will it hurt anything to overfill it. Also, does anyone know any sort of sealant I could use to stop the leak. Thanks in advance.

Nate

kandyflip445
09-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Take the fill plug out and then fill till it starts coming out. If you have a tranny leak in the front of the tranny then you need to get that seal replaced. It could cost you your clutch.

Drifternate
09-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Where would the fill plug happen to be? and what do you mean by the front of the transmission. The leak is in between the bell housing and the main gear section. And how would i know if my clutch was getting fluid on it? I would imagine it would slip pretty bad. Thanks for the advice.

Nate

kandyflip445
09-19-2005, 02:57 PM
The fill plug is on the drivers side on the side of the transmission. If there is a leak from the front seal then it could get on your clutch. It may take a while or it may not. The best way to tell is to take the transmission out and check.

NemeGuero
09-19-2005, 04:23 PM
change the rear main seal and be done!! read the FAQ for part number

projectRDM
09-19-2005, 06:29 PM
change the rear main seal and be done!! read the FAQ for part number

Rear main seal has nothing to do with the transmission.

NemeGuero
09-19-2005, 07:01 PM
whoops, thought he meant it was leaking from the front of the bellhousing