PDA

View Full Version : Fun with kouki projectors!!! Pretty technical question though...help?

freejus
09-17-2005, 11:49 PM
Just ripped apart my old kouki headlight that was busted and broken and took the projector out along with it's housing. This thing runs off DC power in the car and I don't know how many volts/amps of power it has going through it once it gets through relays and fuses and crap in the electrical system. Anyways, is there a possible way to wire this up to accept A/C power? I know I have to probably run an extra wire or two for a circuit, I will read up on that later. However, does anyone know how many amps/volts should be going to the bulb? Also probably a stupid question, but does D/C amps/volts differe from A/C amps/ volts? In other words, say it was getting 20 amps DC in the car, would I just be able to put 20 amps AC through it? Or would it be something different since the circuit is different. I'm not claiming to be an electrical genious, but I have something fun in store for this projector. Let me know if you can answer any of this, and don't bother flaming me, I could care less what you think about my fun project.

S14DB
09-18-2005, 12:32 AM
Why would you run a flashlight off AC?

freejus
09-18-2005, 12:46 AM
Okay, maybe I didn't mean flashlight, maybe I meant reallly bright light that I can aim at my dog and scare the hell out of him with. :D

freejus
09-18-2005, 01:20 AM
Actually I think I figured out what to try, I'm going to rip apart an old radio and yank the stepdown transformer, the slow-blow fuse, and the plug and wire it up and hope the bulb doesn't explodify. I'll post pics when I get this done- should be....interesting.

Irukandji
09-18-2005, 02:07 AM
make it 10x easier and just buy a strobe light...it seems like that's what you're going for assuming you want alternating currents

freejus
09-18-2005, 02:21 AM
Nah, this is more of me just tinkering with this than anything else. I should be able to do something cool with this. I'll figure something out. I just have to make it work first. I'll use this in our bar somehow damnit.

nrg
09-18-2005, 04:28 AM
I'm having a hard time understanding what's going on with your thread.
Are you powering the projectors or the light bulb that is used in those projectors?

Car electrical system uses 12v DC. Now if you google search the conversion formal to AC power, you can figure out the amps and voltages you need to support AC power.
The light bulb is H1 12v DC. Kouki s14 and Projector has nothing to do with what you're trying to accomplish.

what most people in the HID world do; to power their HID on AC power. They use a computer power supply and use the ground and 12v source from the 4 pin plugs. it works great.
black is ground, red is 5v, and yellow is 12v.

projectRDM
09-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Should have sold them.

I sold a pair of just the inner metal housings, with no glass, reflector or anything, for $120 recently.

freejus
09-18-2005, 06:45 PM
Yeah Russ, but that's a pair I only had one. Plus, I've been ebaying so much shit lately I don't feel like fucking with idiots anymore for the next couple months.

Anyways, I was joking about the HID thing.

I will be using the h1 bulbs. I am going to convert 120V AC power to 12V DC with a step down transformer. What I'm wondering is how many amps I should get it to run to the H1 bulb. I don't want to overpower the bulb and cause it to burn out too fast.

Also, will I need to use a slow-blow fuse after the transformer? I just don't want shit to catch on fire, I have a pretty cool idea what to do with this, and I don't want it to burn my house down.

S14DB
09-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Why don't you get a AC-DC converter instead?

Lasers are so much cooler

freejus
09-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Convertor might have been the word I'm looking for. A stepdown transformer is that huge box on your telephone pole. It'll work, and it'll be cool.

S14DB
09-18-2005, 07:14 PM
http://www.hidplanet.com/package.html