PDA

View Full Version : A few SR20 Questions

BoostInnovations
09-17-2005, 08:54 PM
First off S13 SR20 in S14 chassis...wiring done by wiring specialties with Z32 maf, greddy intake manifold, hybrid FMIC, stock boost(T25), AFCII for translating, 3'' TBE....

Basic question: How do i adjust the alternator belts tension? I looked but couldn't really see an obvious tensior or anything? This is needed ASAP...

Next problem: Well anyway I seem to have a bog at WOT and when i reach around 6k it pops really bad and the boost will bounce around...im not sure if its a boost leak or not because it pulls awesome at partial throttle and holds boost perfectly...Its still a possibility but kind of unlikely right now...it just doesnt feel right at all at WOT...I am going to try to get it on a wideband asap to see what the a/f is at during this time...it smells lean but looks rich atleast at idle anyway...timing is also a possibility and I am going to be pulling the valve cover and am gonna look at the cams and CAS to see if they are right....i adjusted the timing to 15-16degrees and it seemed to help by raising the popping to 6k...so idk what to think about it...i just dont know why itd feel fine at partial and then when i go WOT it bogs out...

I've heard the things like boost leak or coil misfiring bad under WOT...well now ive noticed its not even just at WOT but more like 60%+ it seems like it bogs with little tiny popping...nothin big tho...also, the other day my IC piping blew off cause i had switched something around(obviously didnt work lol) but i didnt realize it right away and hammered it and it took off decently(realized there was no boost later) but i easily hit redline and actually got it to spin 2nd without boost...why would it be able to hit redline without boost or if any boost maybe 1lb?...

King 240
09-17-2005, 09:16 PM
First off S13 SR20 in S14 chassis...wiring done by wiring specialties with Z32 maf, greddy intake manifold, hybrid FMIC, stock boost(T25), AFCII for translating, 3'' TBE....

Basic question: How do i adjust the alternator belts tension? I looked but couldn't really see an obvious tensior or anything? This is needed ASAP...

Next problem: Well anyway I seem to have a bog at WOT and when i reach around 6k it pops really bad and the boost will bounce around...im not sure if its a boost leak or not because it pulls awesome at partial throttle and holds boost perfectly...Its still a possibility but kind of unlikely right now...it just doesnt feel right at all at WOT...I am going to try to get it on a wideband asap to see what the a/f is at during this time...it smells lean but looks rich atleast at idle anyway...timing is also a possibility and I am going to be pulling the valve cover and am gonna look at the cams and CAS to see if they are right....i adjusted the timing to 15-16degrees and it seemed to help by raising the popping to 6k...so idk what to think about it...i just dont know why itd feel fine at partial and then when i go WOT it bogs out...

I've heard the things like boost leak or coil misfiring bad under WOT...well now ive noticed its not even just at WOT but more like 60%+ it seems like it bogs with little tiny popping...nothin big tho...also, the other day my IC piping blew off cause i had switched something around(obviously didnt work lol) but i didnt realize it right away and hammered it and it took off decently(realized there was no boost later) but i easily hit redline and actually got it to spin 2nd without boost...why would it be able to hit redline without boost or if any boost maybe 1lb?...

First part, there is a bolt and a nut on the alternator, should see a bolt that if you loosen the alt. will move somewhat freely. This should solve that issue.

As for the bogging, I'm assuming that you did the basic SR swap upgrades such as changing out the KA stock fuel pump to either a 300zx TT fuel pump or a Walbro 255LPH fuel pump. If you haven't do this ASAP!!
The KA fuel pump won't support the SR fuel needs, therefore it burns out. When the pump burns out this will cause fuel starvation and the motor will run lean (BAD BAD BAD on turbo car!!)

Also it sounds like you may have a hole, crack, or something of the sort in the intercooler piping. Check to make sure that all piping is on as tight as possible. I personally use a socket to tighten the piping as a sure way, you can get better grip then say a screw driver.

If your having any more issues or questions feel free to PM or something.

BoostInnovations
09-17-2005, 10:13 PM
have fuel pump installed...

BoostInnovations
09-18-2005, 12:53 AM
well i took the CAS out and put it back in according to the FSM...everything seemed to line up perfect exactly as described in the FSM...well it seemed like it was idling better so i was excited...tried to drive to the gas station but I could hardly keep the car moving...there was so much hesitation...took it home did a quick timing check on it and what do you know it was at 5atdc...it was so retarded i couldnt drive it!! and thats after following the FSM to the T...

BoostInnovations
09-18-2005, 04:25 PM
also, when i unplugged the TPS it went to 100% throttle on the SFCII...is that normal?

BoostInnovations
09-19-2005, 10:56 AM
uh oh im scared ive seemed to stump people again...

BoostInnovations
09-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Another thought: when I was turning my crank to get to TDC to do the CAS thing i remember the compression letting loose before i got to the TDC mark on the crank...is that supposed to do that? I wouldn't think so...Also, the timing chain was not very tight and was kind of hanging in between the 2 gears...is that normal as well? The cams were at a slight angle up facing away from each other when the motor was at TDC...