PDA

View Full Version : Jpec autosports

Hazardc
09-09-2005, 12:21 AM
This review is currently pretty NEGATIVE. If something changes here and they come through i will update this review accordingly.

Few months ago we ordered an SR20 for my friends s13 240sx, he decided to buy from this Jspec autosport company (jspecauto.com) The engine was shipped promptly and we recieved it in a few days, picked it up at the trucking company and brought it home. I have never heard of this company in the past but he said he had done a little research so i didn't care too much.

the first thing i noticed a little odd was on the compression sheet they had written 190 even all the way across.. wtf? There was no MAF sensor like they said they were going to include, and the ignitor they sent was cracked open. Well whatever, shit happens and we'll get it sorted out later.. had bought a z32 maf anyways so it wasn't a huge deal, we were happy about the HKS bb turbo/nice o2 housing and a few other goodies on the engine...

we got the engine on the stand and since we were going to replace the HG anyways and install some ARP studs and a few other things before we put it in the car, i decided to pull off the oil pan and that's when the nightmare started. the oil pan was absolutely FULL of metal. major bearing failure and draining hte oil on the engine at all should have made this painfully obvious. I decided to look at the rod bearings. #1 completely shot, gone, a little bit of material stuck to the crank and the crank was totally fucked.. all of the other rod bearings were on their way out and had severe wear (copper showing)... i then pulled the mains out which also were all showing copper.

At this point we're super frustrated and pretty pissed off.... obviously the engine is completely shot and would need a complete tear down and everything would need tanked and rebuilt including the turbo (i've already experienced what engine bearing failure does to your turbo in quick order)

So we call jspec, tell them all the info, send pics of everything we had done (including pictures of all the bearings, the oil pan, etc etc etc) we have been really thourough with our pictures. They tell us to take it to a certified mechanic to get it verified.. stupid in my opinion since it's pretty damn obvious what the problem is and i dont really want to load this thing up but whatever.. we take it to a local shop and they just verify what we already knew..

now get this, jspec asks for a COMPRESSION TEST!! wtf!? they want me to reassemble this busted ass engine with no rod bearing and shit and do a compression check? They said they needed it to see weather they should send a head with the block or not. HELLO, METAL WENT THROUGH THE ENTIRE ENGINE AND IT IS TOTALLY FUCKED!!! I DIDNT BUY AN ENGINE TO PULL APART AND TOTALLY REBUILD..

Forward to this week, they send a tracking number on a new engine, we pick it up tonight.. it looks complete in the wrap at the shipping company minus a valve cover and NO TURBO or exhaust manifold..... Already kinda pissed but whatever, we're tired of waiting and bring it home and get it into the garage

and this is what i find

1. still no MAF, no replacement ignitor
2. oil pan is totally CAVED IN
3. no compression test performed (as if they really did it on the other one)
4. head is FULL of gritty shit, cant tell if any of it is metallic yet
5. This isn't the same as the other sr20, what's left of the intake manifold is completely different, the injectors are mounted in a different place
6. water pump is frozen stuck and doesnt turn
7 crank pulley is cracked to shit
8. The head on this engine has some weird bolted on plate on the front that the other head didn't have, and it's broken open
9. every single pulley and bracket is bent or broken on the engine, it has obviously been dropped HARD or in a major front end collision
10. No cams.. the cams in the other car are scored from the lack of oil + metal running through the eninge, dont these people fucking get it?
11. the little metal things that rest on top of the valve retainers, half of them are missing.
12. Here's where i stopped because i was pissed off... #4 plug is covered in oil

What kind of company is this? I haven't searched any forums or talked to anyone.. but this is a pretty shitty way of taking care of customers. We would have gladly sent back the original shitbox they mailed here for a complete running assembly (WHAT WAS PAID FOR) instead of two broke ass half ass piles of shit that we cant even combine parts to make a complete running engine. Where do these people get off not replacing EVERYTHING that oil flows through?

Has anyone else had any good or bad experiences with this company? Really at this point i'd rather just have them take their shit back and order it from a real company that's not into selling junk engines. I didn't want to post anything here but after getting a second junk engine I've stopped giving this company the benefit of the doubt. Stay away from this place if at all possible is my opinion.

RSP13-Sideways
09-09-2005, 01:24 AM
I just got done reading their warranty page and you should be in the clear. Get those motors back to them within' the 30-days they say, as long as you have their product you cannot do a chargeback because they have a proof of delivery that you've received both.

Get their shit motors back and ask for a refund. If they decide to do a restocking fee or something, do a chargeback. (assuming you paid with your creditcard.)

Goodluck!

Hazardc
09-09-2005, 01:48 AM
have any shipping company reccomendations? I now have two useless engines and a transmission that might work.

i really feel like they should cover the shipping, after all they did take the money and send junk.. twice

I'm gonna give them a call first thing tomorrow and find out where to go from there

Hazardc
09-09-2005, 12:32 PM
figured out that this "new" engine is an s14 or s15.. well what's left of it, the part on the head that's busted is the "Vct cover" i guess you would call it.... and it has half of the s14-s15 intake manifold still on it..

I dont know what's interchangable anyways and what's not... obviously not acceptable when buying an engine swap. :bash:

kognition
09-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Jesus. Sounds like another overnite flash in the pan shithole importer. I mean, they gotta be the dregs of the importers. Cant even sell you a real motor that can run. These fucks seem to be coming out of the woodwork, and if there wasnt a market for SR's they'd be importing those little umbrellas for drinks.

figured out that this "new" engine is an s14 or s15.. well what's left of it, the part on the head that's busted is the "Vct cover" i guess you would call it.... and it has half of the s14-s15 intake manifold still on it..

I dont know what's interchangable anyways and what's not... obviously not acceptable when buying an engine swap. :bash:
:loco:

Hazardc
09-12-2005, 03:55 AM
I have come to the conclusion that this company is more incompetent than i believed before

"
Hello Steve. We promised to send you another block.
> Instead of taking off
> the head, we left it on. We are aware the head is no
> good. We checked the
> block and we tested it. The extra parts on the
> engine were not supposed to
> be included. You must just use the block and head
> with your pulleys and
> other accessories on the first motor. We did not
> send you a S14, we sent you
> a
S13 Black Top block, which is actually better. So
> you will use your
> SR20DET S13 Red Top Head and all the other
> accessories with the block(only
> the block) of the S13 Black Top we sent you. If we
> had sent you just the
> bare block you would not have these concerns. We
> checked the motor before we
> shipped it out. This was an engine that was damaged
> in shipping, but the
block remained intact and in good condition. We
> would not of sent you
> another blown block, that is more headache for you
> and for me. I do not like
> this anymore than you do. We honored our warranty by
> sending you another
> block, if there any extra parts on it, you have to
> take it off and use your
> original parts fro the first S13 Red Top we sent
> you. I have this clears up
> any
concerns you may have had, if you have any

1st, it's an S14 engine they sent.
2nd, both heads are shot, one is cracked and the other has metal run through it
3rd, a running engine with all accessories was purchased, not a mix and mach pile of parts

I dont even know what stuff would even bolt together off the s13 block.

not to mention metal went through the turbo from the thrashed bearings on the old block + the fact that this new block had a spark plug covered in oil on cylinder #4 and i know that they didn't check the cylinder because the plugs were torqued down way hard.

i'll post updates later on, i'm in the process of posting this on every nissan forum i can find, and i think im going to post it on honda/mitsu/toyota forums as well.. every make that this company imports for.

Var
09-20-2005, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the heads up David.

edited

ghostuss
09-20-2005, 04:33 AM
Var, I think you mixed up jspec (jspec.com) and jspec autosports (jsecauto.com). I think they are two companies. But seriously jspec(jspec.com) rips ppl off big time and got their reason for it. You just have to determind urself where you draw the line between quality or rip off.