PDA

View Full Version : Codes 33 & 34, Fixed, Reset, and still having probs!

delinquentracer
09-08-2005, 05:27 AM
I recently took out my timing chain guides on my 95 obdII s14.
I pulled the top and right side guides.

Since the distributor had to be pulled to do this, We had to reset timing.
We put the car at TDC, put the distributor in correctly, and my friend set timing for me while I was taking care of something else.
He also said that he advanced it 1-2 degrees, just to see if there was any power gain.

The car ran fine for I wanna say...15-20 miles, and then the check engine light came on. But even with the check engine light on, the car still ran perfectly fine.

I checked the codes by the light on the back of the ecu.
I pulled codes 33 & 34.
Which are front 02 sensor and Knock sensor.

I figured that the timing must have not been set right and thus I checked the timing, and it was off by 5 degrees. I thought maybe that the ECU felt knock and threw itself into a safe mode of some sort and knocked timing down.
I then reset timing and the ECU.

Then yesterday, I was driving normal.. the car was running fine, and the Check engine light came on. I figured it was the same thing again.. So i checked the codes and it was 33 & 34 again.

I then checked the timing and it was @ 15 Degrees again.

So I then set timing the CORRECT way.
I let the motor warm up,
Turned off the car, Disconnected the TPS, Turned the car on, Set idle to 700rpm by turning the idle air screw on the back of the intake manifold.
Then I set timing to 20 degrees, and tightened down the distributor.
Reconnected the TPS.

I figured it was fine.
Then tonight on the way home @ 3:30 am on a cold ass night, the check engine light came on again. I have no doubt that its the same thing again.

Each time this has happened, I havent heard any pinging/detonation.(although that doesnt mean its not happening)

-SO now I ask for anyones help in trying to figure out why this is happening??!?!

I figure that maybe the Front 02 sensor circuit code came on because if the eng. detonated, the exhaust gas got a lot hotter, and maybe the 02 sensor didnt like the hotter EGT's.
-ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS?

Im dam sure that I followed the correct directions on how to set timing.
- Is it possible for the Distributor to not be tightened down enough and the distributor to slip, causing timing to advance, and causing knock??? (kinda not likely)

I have no other thoughts on why its happening. But I want/need to fix it in case something is really wrong.. I dont want to screw up my car by driving it if something is really wrong.

Thanks for anyones help!!!! :x:

Indolent
09-08-2005, 08:24 AM
i probably won't be helping much but does your cel come off after driving? i remember i had the exact same problem you have now, just pulled codes 32 33 34 at the same time, it would turn off maybe every so n so, but then i remember i put the stocker parts on (exhaust,intake) then adjusting the timing and it wouldn't turn on like it used to, only once in awhile then they'd go away, but then i swapped out a better dohc and i never get the codes popped up, only when my rpms are too low driving cause i'm trying to save gas lol, but it jus goes away, but yeah i say you try to fix your timing and find a way for it not to let it adjust itself lol..

aznpoopy
09-08-2005, 08:32 AM
- Is it possible for the Distributor to not be tightened down enough and the distributor to slip

well yes, but it'd have to be pretty goddamn loose.

delinquentracer
09-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Maybe Im not completely reseting the ecu...?

What is the correct way to clear all
codes?

Indolent
09-08-2005, 04:00 PM
look on www.ka24development.com on ecu resetting/diagnostics