PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Sohc help

240SeXy!
09-06-2005, 07:54 PM
I have a sohc in a 89 i just picked up, 600 bucks se.. clean ! It seems to be running bad, doesnt high rev. rough idle (if any) . Seems to burn oil...... Personaly im gonna thro it out, ka24de... is the way to go, but what do you think would be wrong with it? besides prob head gasket...

thanks

rob

SDS14Driver
09-06-2005, 09:04 PM
heh, you realize how vaugue your question is right?
Its like saying, my dog's sick. She's coughing... Hmm... do you know what's wrong with her?

Any trouble codes poppin up? Have you ran any tests yourself to attempt locating the problem?

If you're going to toss the SOHC then the issues shouldnt concern you anyway, dump it and start over if that's what your project is all about, otherwise diagnosing the engine and fixing its short comings could dip into the funds you've allocated for your DOHC project.

If running your SOHC engine is something you're looking to do, i'd suggest doing a full tune up replacing all vaccum hoses, fuel lines, every filter, Fuel, Air, PCV valve all the basics and see if that improves the situation. Start with the basics IF you're going to keep the SOHC, tune it to locate and eliminate the problems otherwise, fuck it.

Project D
09-07-2005, 12:56 AM
if u have the 5 speed tranny, send it to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ghostuss
09-07-2005, 02:50 AM
Take out AIV first. That thing is stupid and costs a lot problem on the car. Replace fuel filter and see if that helps. Change all spark plug/wire/cap/rotor. I would suggest get a FSM and read up and try to solve the problems rather than take a easy way out. You will learn all the basic to an engine while messing around with the old one rather than risk fucking up a better engine.

SochBAT
09-07-2005, 05:02 AM
^^ ie, basic tune up.