PDA

View Full Version : need some direction...

Fourthline
09-04-2005, 10:50 PM
hey.. i have an infinit j30.. it has a vg30de(300z N/A engine). i want to make it a street car/ alittle drift. im looking for more power... should i rebuild the engine it alrady has and throw on a manual trany/ecu. or should i go a different route and do an engine and tranny swap.. i was thinkin about an rb25det...
thanks any advice would be helpful,
allen

Chernobyl
09-04-2005, 11:00 PM
You're probably better off doing the tranny swap on the VG. That engine should be plenty powerful to haev a little fun with, given it has a manual. I don't see very big gains from bolt ons on NA vg30's though.

Maybe a VG30DET swap? Single turbo from Japan.. Don't remember what car it's out of, but demand must be pretty low, so prices can't be too bad.

Fourthline
09-04-2005, 11:10 PM
You're probably better off doing the tranny swap on the VG. That engine should be plenty powerful to haev a little fun with, given it has a manual. I don't see very big gains from bolt ons on NA vg30's though.

Maybe a VG30DET swap? Single turbo from Japan.. Don't remember what car it's out of, but demand must be pretty low, so prices can't be too bad.

yeah.. i was thinkin of the vg30dett.. but suposedly the engine is really heavy and runs extreamly hot.. so thats why i was considering the rb25det(high gains and alot of options).. just a thought..

Chernobyl
09-04-2005, 11:19 PM
I was talking about a single turbo version of the VG. It was available in a few cars in JDMland. Look into it.

Phlip
09-04-2005, 11:21 PM
doesn't the VH41 come stock in those in Japan?

S14DB
09-05-2005, 12:44 AM
Get the jdm vg30dett auto. They are just as fast as a manual and who knows how hard a MT swap is going to be in that car.

I don't understand your "running hot" problem with vg30dett's. could you elaborate?

Fourthline
09-05-2005, 05:21 AM
Get the jdm vg30dett auto. They are just as fast as a manual and who knows how hard a MT swap is going to be in that car.

I don't understand your "running hot" problem with vg30dett's. could you elaborate?

the running hot thing is that the VG motors give off alot of heat.. you can feel it coming threw the firewall.. thats all... its nothing abnormal.. thats the way they are..

Phlip
09-05-2005, 08:02 AM
I think that may be a perception of running hot, since the engine bays in Z32s are so incredibly cramped, it MIGHT be that you cannot help but feel it coming through.