PDA

View Full Version : Removing the intake y-pipe does no harm...right?

DaveSev
09-04-2005, 03:55 PM
I wanted a little more growl and less intake restriction, so I'm going to remove the y-pipe (actually I already took off the screws and am ready to remove it). I'm just making sure it isn't bad for the car. Because now it's sucking in air from the engine bay instead of air from under the car...meaning warmer air. Will this be detrimental to performance and engine life?

SpeedMonkeyInc
09-04-2005, 04:18 PM
No, its fine. Lots of people just remove the whole mess of plastic under the air box. Just keep the air box intact and everything else can go. A little better airflow, a little louder, and a few pounds less.

DaveSev
09-04-2005, 04:24 PM
Alright, thanks. Is it possible to take it out without removing the air box and without cutting it? Seems hard as hell, there is the foamy pipe up front that extends under some metal that is like lodged under there...

SpeedMonkeyInc
09-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Its been a while sence I did all that and I can't remember too well. I am pretty sure most everything comes out the bottom. Take off the fender liner and you should be alble to get everything out. I don't remember all the bits that where under there, I just took it all out and threw it away when I put in my Injen intake. Just get underthere and start pulling suff out and you will see how it works! hahhaha

DaveSev
09-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Haha, thanks again.

projectRDM
09-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Alright, thanks. Is it possible to take it out without removing the air box and without cutting it? Seems hard as hell, there is the foamy pipe up front that extends under some metal that is like lodged under there...

Pull the airbox, all the piping will come off with it, then remove it separately. The resonator will drop out below the wheel arch from underneath.

DaveSev
09-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Got it out. Holy balls does it sound throaty right around 3.5k. Better response, too.