PDA

View Full Version : What are the first parts you would get for your SR

jdkruger4
04-23-2002, 05:20 PM
Hey guys I'll be doing the SR swap on a 90FB in about 6 weeks. Ill be getting an S13 redtop or blacktop. If I get the front clip, downpipe, Apexi exhaust, spring and shocks, and put it in the car which is completely stock I will have $800 left to spend on other parts. What do you think i should get for max HP? A racing clutch(since hte engine will be out already)? And maybe a flywheel(is $450 worth it? What kind of gain would i get?)? Or would i be better off getting a boost controller and BOV? How much boost does the factory wheel mount intercooler handle?

What would you do if it was your swap?

silviasichigo
04-23-2002, 06:09 PM
You will get no HP from a clutch. Maybe a gain from the lack of weight but nothing more. This is what I would do but you don't have to listen to me. (BTW I have a red top and a black top) If I was you since you have a stock computer and it is more than likely not tuned. I would get a boost controller (I suggest Greddy Profec A) It has a stepping motor which will get you to your boost with more stability than a solinoid boost controller. With the money you have left get a BOV. Keep in mind the Stock BOV is Built into the Stock Intercooler. With a high pressure BOV you will have to tune the ecu to give you max fuel, other wise it will stall because there will be too much air and not enough fuel. Even after I bypassed the stock BOV it still gave me that problem. Then again the problem I had could just be situational?? How knows. After the BOV.... wait do you already have a filter upgrade?? If not get it. If you have any money left get a intake manifold it will make the SR sound mean as hell with the exhaust you have.

There is another post with the mods I suggested to another person if it did not get cought up in the problem we had yesterday.

Arcane
04-23-2002, 06:16 PM
FMIC...

jdkruger4
04-23-2002, 06:25 PM
how are the clutches that come with most SRs with around 50k miles on them? Do you think it would be worthwhile to upgrade while im doing the swap?

Also what kind of filter upgrades go on SRs?

silviasichigo
04-23-2002, 06:50 PM
The clutch should be the first but you can get. The ACT clutch they claim to have the clamping force of the Cusco Rocket clutch which is a 3 puck dics. I had it and it lasted a full year of straight racing. "(After the 500mile break in)" You can get Apexi, HKS, Blitz, K&N or the Japanese call it M's

Yes change the clutch first. Then you can get The filter, boost controller, etc. The car will not be worth the boost controller if you can't boost because your clutch is slipping. Go in the order of things. You now have the engine make it last. the SR-20 is IMO the easiest engine to tune and work on even if you know nothing about engines. I have posted a link to a downloadable shop manual for your engine but it was cut off. so here it is. Shop Manual (http://www.silvia.hl.com.au/techinfo.asp)

junia
04-23-2002, 08:06 PM
Do change the clutch,but I wouldn't suggest raising the boost on a SR motor without upgrading your fuel.  With a larger downpipe you'll already be running a higher boost because of the increased airflow.  If you are getting a front clip and use everthing from the JDM S13, you'll notice on the driver's side(passenger in the states) near the strut tower you'll see a silver box about 1" by 2.5" and it'll say JECS on it.  Thats the high low switch for the fuel pump.  The switch is runs off of the computer and is supposed to react to the the throttle position but with the vehicle getting old it starts to lag a bit and can actually slow you down.  All you have to do to disable this is to just bypass the box all together.  Another thing you can do is relocate the oil filter because I don't know who designed it but its in a pretty tight spot if you asked me.  I'm not a big fan of BOV but thats just personal preference.  You can get a front mount intercooler.  If can get a hook up from someone overseas, you can get a intercooler from 400 bucks brand new without piping or get a kit for about800.  I know that a brand new EVO-VI intercooler from mitsubishi cost 400.  Other than that I wouldn't do anything until you get used to the engine.

mbmbmb23
04-23-2002, 09:41 PM
Get a nice Front Mounted Intercooler.  You can get a nice used Starion intercooler for a couple hundred.

Heres what I would do.

$200  starion intercooler
$100  custom piping
$150  hi output fuel pump
$300  aluminum flywheel from Ebay
$50    shipping and handling (maybe a lil more needed)

(or substitute BOV and boost controller for flywheel)

M