PDA

View Full Version : Compression test on my car. Redtop SR20

Jamesnutt
08-30-2005, 03:51 PM
Ok, I searched and couldn't find anything and I don't have my own computer right now so I can't look forever about this cause I have a limeted period of time on here so I really need your guy's help. So when I got my motor I noticed that the head gasket had silcon on it and I was reading that in Japan that some places do this when putting on a metal head gasket. Is this right? The stock Sr20 doesn't have this right? So I did a compression test and it pretty much was 140 in each cylinder. So having a metal head gasket should lower my compression so would this mean that I really do have one? I really would like to know because I don't want to take apart the motor to find out. And I'm also wondering if I actually have a built lower end if I do have a metal gasket. Any way I can find this stuff out without taking apart my motor? Reason I'm wondering all this stuff is because I got the motor and it already had stuf done to it and the timing was so fucked the guy said it probably had different cams in it and the place threw a set of stock cams back in without doing the timing on it.

kandyflip445
08-30-2005, 04:05 PM
What are we psychic?

Take a fiber optic camera with a light and poke around. lol Those things cost a buttload.

slider2828
08-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Well a better answer would be... Yes they did through silcone on the corners sometimes to help it seal better. I am not sure in japan but at least people do it here too as well so it ain't really that new. But make sure they weren't trying to seal the head or something hahahahh that would be g@y.... As for compression, it should average around 140 is around stock, and can range from 120 - 155 or something like that. I have a 1.2mm greddy headgasket and my compression is 120 even across.... Compression in all cylinders should not very more than +/- 3 psi. 3 is being generous, manual says 2psi, but I think 3 is fine too.

By the way, how the F would you know timing is off? Check your plugs, it WILL tell you.... G/L

Jamesnutt
08-30-2005, 04:53 PM
I knew timing was off when I first installed the motor. I've had the car done for about 2 years and just haven't messed with it to much since.