PDA

View Full Version : a wierd handling problem, need an advice.

xagna
08-27-2005, 01:15 AM
I was doing some slalom like maneuvers and just found this out.
When I turn the steering wheel any direction all of sudden with very strong force, only handle goes around while the car's response to the sudden steering input comes less than a second late. It is a rubberish feeling I get through the steering.

What could be wrong and should I replace? I feel like it is one of the bushings but not sure.

KA24DESOneThree
08-27-2005, 01:37 AM
Crank the wheel very quickly and you'll upset your suspension and compromise grip, leading to what I believe is driver-induced terminal understeer. Smoothness is your friend.

What kind of suspension mods are you running? What kind of tires?

Next time, please write a more coherent post. That was hell trying to understand at midnight and a half.

stu8319
08-27-2005, 09:31 AM
Check your ball joints.

SpeedMonkeyInc
08-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Sounds like tall tires to me. Garbage tires with lots of side wall are not good for much but burnouts. Try adding air pressure if you are not getting good response. Too much air though will kill your grip.
If you want to spend money to cure the problem get wider/taller wheels and better tires with shorter sidewalls. Then good suspension parts.

xagna
08-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Sorry, forgot to tell you what I had in my wheel well.

s13
megan coilover. 2.5 camber in the front.
hankook h405 215/45/17

You sure this is an understeer problem? I don't hear any squeaking noise from the tire when I turn at 60mph. Feel that I can from steering wheel is also different comparing to other s13s when I do same maneuver.

stu8319, when I check the ball joints what kind of things do I have to look for? Cracks?

slivia-junkie
08-28-2005, 04:26 PM
when cheching ball joints jack up wheel under load(put jack under controle arm). and see if the wheel has movement side to side and top to bottom. by inspection standerds 1/16 inch failing but you want none. also check your steering shaft for play/ binding

kandyflip445
08-28-2005, 04:54 PM
Buy a Nismo power brace and t/c rods if you don't already have them.

xagna
08-29-2005, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the advices.
I do have a free wheel play. IT is about half inch to both directions.

kandyflip445,
Could you tell me how a tension rod and power brace will help me with this? I don't understand. I was thinking that tie rod end might help instead.

kandyflip445
08-29-2005, 10:43 PM
With my car there was slop in the steering when doing stuff like that. When I installed those it helped A LOT. PS rack bushings helped A LOT also.