PDA

View Full Version : rad support

Eggdrop
08-24-2005, 11:04 PM
It looks like mine is a little pused back i dont know how much a shop would charge to pull it back into place. is it better if i get a rad support from a junkyard and just replace the one i got? I need to do this asap as im gonna take the car to a shop to drop the motor in. I told the guy it didnt need anywork but that was before i knew about the rad support. I dont wanna look like a liar so what should i do?

s0ldats
08-24-2005, 11:20 PM
tie to tree, drive car in reverse.

infinitexsound
08-24-2005, 11:29 PM
thats just stupid, didnt know socal ppl still rigg crap like the south....... just go to a bodyshop real quick and ask them if they can use a portable or a monkey on a stick to pull it forward....... yes both are tools..... even with the funny names...

TheSnail
08-25-2005, 12:14 AM
Why would a radiator support keep them from them doing a swap?(unless its heavily damaged and they are doing an rb swap) either way, like infinite said, buy a 20$ slide hammer.

drift freaq
08-25-2005, 01:28 AM
most do not resort to ghetto stylie tactics like stated above. I have a shop local to me that can do a core support for under $500 with a new support welding and paint.

TheSnail
08-25-2005, 01:36 AM
Your pushing buttons, I could say something about your shop prices (swaps, rad support as listed above) but Im biting my tongue.

drift freaq
08-25-2005, 01:40 AM
Your pushing buttons, I could say something about your shop prices (swaps, rad support as listed above) but Im biting my tongue.

what the hell are you talking about. The body shop I am talking about is quite reputable here in Los Angeles. Swaps ? I am not associated with a particular shop that does swaps. I put that price out there because I wanted to show it was reasonable. I also happen to have connections for radiator core supports. Sounds like your trying to push buttons. Sounds like your trying to pick a fight.
You got something to say P.M. me!!

infinitexsound
08-25-2005, 01:47 AM
jesus kids lets not go over board on this subject.... cause i know its not worth it... just follow what i said takes like 30 min to tweak get things back into place.... no need for a new core cause thats too much downtime and money ... monkey on a stick is like 10 min tops... portable.. is a little more i used that to tweak my friends HB to shut and latch again after he had issues with a mountain...

TheSnail
08-25-2005, 01:50 AM
Im not picking a fight, we were offering a simple fix. As far as a radiator support + welding + paint = $200. 5 hour job with one mechanic. Unless you are backed up on bills.

drift freaq
08-25-2005, 01:54 AM
Im not picking a fight, we were offering a simple fix. As far as a radiator support + welding + paint = $200. 5 hour job with one mechanic. Unless you are backed up on bills.
ummm , labor rates vary in different parts of the country. This is not Georgia, where there cost of living is cheaper because jobs don't pay as well.
The kid is from New York the cost of living in New York is higher than Georgia.Why? becuase in New York jobs pay better as well. in Fact cost of living and pricing in New York is higher than Los Angeles though jobs pay as well here.
Most shops in Los Angeles charge $500-600 for a core support job with paint. I can get the job done for around $335. Thats a deal in SoCal or NorCal. I prefer to do things right . pounding out a radiator core support is ghetto and looks like crap IMHO.
Snail, you started this . I did not.

TheSnail
08-25-2005, 02:25 AM
I did not start anything, and you did not prove anything. We told him what he could do for a cheap fix, thats all. If he stated he is making a show car then we would have gave him diff advice. If he is worried that the rad support would keep a shop from doing a swap, then he could bang it back in place with a slide hammer, perfectly operational. Calling us ghetto for giving him very logical advice is where I saw buttons pushed, and it was the only reason I counter attacked your statement.

projectRDM
08-25-2005, 07:21 AM
You all are a bunch of whiny bitches.
New core support = $220.
Time to drill out the old one = 20 minutes.
Time to install new one = 5 minutes.
I drove my car for three years with a new support bolted in place by the tension rod brackets and fenders, no welds. It's superficial metal, non structural. Besides it's nice to have it removable when you pull the engine.

drift freaq
08-25-2005, 11:09 AM
I did not start anything, and you did not prove anything. We told him what he could do for a cheap fix, thats all. If he stated he is making a show car then we would have gave him diff advice. If he is worried that the rad support would keep a shop from doing a swap, then he could bang it back in place with a slide hammer, perfectly operational. Calling us ghetto for giving him very logical advice is where I saw buttons pushed, and it was the only reason I counter attacked your statement.
well see there is your mistake, I never called you ghetto. I called your suggestion ghetto.
Just because you make a suggestion that is ghetto does not make you ghetto. Now if you acted ghetto it would be another story hahahhahahhahha.
I write , is everything I write me? No. Therefore your suggestion is not you. Don't personalize everything you say, unless you want to get butt hurt a lot.

infinitexsound
08-25-2005, 01:46 PM
tie to tree, drive car in reverse.
this is ghetto

now im kinda offended now.... cause ive been in the industry for quite sometime, and if ur callin my methods ghetto i wouldnt know what to think... geez man to me ghetto riggin is usin xtra large zipties and bungee cords to keep a hood down.... thats jerry riggin... but iono lots of bodyshops use that method i said about just to make a slight adjustment vs spendin more time on such a simple fix....

SochBAT
08-26-2005, 02:46 AM
haha, i had my shit jerry rigged for a bit. Then my hood flew up on the freeway. Then i learned JErryRigging isn't cool. Do it good the first time, instead of minor quick fixes often.

infinitexsound
08-26-2005, 09:30 PM
so post some recent pictures of ur car? i wanna see what happend..

SochBAT
09-06-2005, 12:02 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/soshit/Front-vi.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/soshit/PICT0006-vi.jpg

Remember that car? FUGLY!!!
Hood flew up, crumpled, sent ripples into the overhead roof (which was covered in bondo) so it started to crack off and turn to shit. REALLY bad. So i started ripping things apart,and now its pretty again! WOOT! More pics soon!

infinitexsound
09-06-2005, 12:10 AM
i want the collision pics daymn it

SochBAT
09-06-2005, 05:10 AM
hehe, none uploaded. BUTTT from the monster with Z32 eyes comes....
http://photobucket.com/albums/v189/soshit/SUC50011.jpg

Radiator support = GONE. In place of the rad support, are ultra long bolts from the bumpersupport bracket (?) stretching upwards into a steel bar that supports stock headlight brackets, and mounts to the fender support. In turn, the hood was drilled accordingly to allow these custom hoodpins, and sandwiched with 2 spacers, one 1/2" bigger than the first, and bolt up with a 12mm nut. Ghetto, very.
Effective, yes.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/soshit/SUC50024.jpg
JERRYRIGGED!!!