PDA

View Full Version : Power steering rack fitting

dpreuss
08-24-2005, 11:41 AM
One more quick question. Instead of buying different hard lines for the ps pressure line for my sr swap, i want to run a braided line fromt the pump to the rack. I already know the fitting in need at the pump, but i just need to know what fitting i need to go into the rack. So if anybody knows what fitting i would need, please let me know. thanks. -Derek

projectRDM
08-24-2005, 07:02 PM
Remove it and match it up, You'll need the flare type with an o-ring anyway, best to make certain it's right.

docrice
08-24-2005, 10:06 PM
braided lines for power steering? isn't that a bit overkill/waste of money?

dpreuss
08-25-2005, 01:08 AM
its cheaper than buying new hard lines

drift freaq
08-25-2005, 01:22 AM
we ran custom lines with a transmission cooler for my RB swap because the stock steering lines could not be used.

Johny5
08-25-2005, 07:21 AM
ahahaha, good luck going to the track and turning multiple times with regular braided steel lines. here's some literature for you guys.

http://chevyhiperformance.com/howto/4399/

"Power Steering Hose Is Different

Although you've probably seen it dozens of times, regular stainless braided AN hose should not be used for power-steering hose applications. Pressure spikes in the power-steering system can exceed the burst strength of regular AN hose. That is why companies like Aeroquip and Earl's have developed specific power-steering hose, complete with its own unique steel fittings, for use in these systems. Power-steering hose is usually made of an elastomer tube, polyester inner braid with wire-braid reinforcement, and a polyester-braid cover. Its maximum operating pressure is rated at 2,250 psi. While ideally suited for steering and hydraulic systems, this type of hose can be used in other applications including fuel, oil, and compressed air. Most Winston Cup pit crews use this type of hose with their "over-the-wall" air tools because of its flexibility and extreme pressure-spike capabilities in case it gets run over."

docrice
08-25-2005, 07:33 AM
Excellent info Johny5!

dpreuss
08-25-2005, 08:53 AM
thanks for the info, but i do have the power steering hose made by areoquip, i just need to know what fittings to get

FRpilot
08-25-2005, 10:46 AM
this is an interesting thread. can you post pictures of it when you get it on the car depreuss?

dpreuss
08-25-2005, 12:02 PM
yeah, i will post pics of my entire swap when i get done, does anyone know who i could contact to find out the size of fitting i need? I already tried phase 2 and heavythrottle, neither of them knew. Thanks - Derek

Johny5
08-25-2005, 01:09 PM
hey i'll have some help for you soon. i'm doing fitting sizes on my s14 steering rack as i've been considering doing stainless braided ps as well. using the proper 2500psi braided hose and steel fittings of course. but i'll have fitting sizes soon.

Johny5
08-25-2005, 01:11 PM
p.s. please do share what fitting is used on the pump, i'll find rack fittings because i have a spare rack but i need to know what a ka pump uses. we're referring to the top one thats high psi and normally uses banjo bolt right? are you gonna do a 90 degree there instead of banjo?

dpreuss
08-25-2005, 07:45 PM
I actually bought that part of the line from advance auto parts. Its a line from the banjo fitting that runs into a block with 2 holes, one for the sensor, and one for the hard line to the rack to screw into. You can look at it here

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=BAR&mfrpartnumber=1092098&parttype=18&ptset=A

However, i do know the banjo fitting you need. You will need a 15mm banjo fitting to go into the pump. I hope I have helped, and i do thank you in advance for your help in finding the fitting size for me. Thanks again -Derek

dpreuss
08-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Let me know when you find that fitting size for the rack johnny 5

Johny5
08-28-2005, 01:56 PM
should be soon man
just gotta get the motor out and the rack off the car.