PDA

View Full Version : Removing KA w/out engine hoist?

AAA240SX
08-23-2005, 08:23 PM
Read an old post from a while back that it was possible to remove the engine by dropping the entire front subframe.

I'm removing everything from the chassis of my 93 240 to prepare for some major body work to be done.

Does anyone have any further information/instruction on doing this?
Let me know...

nrg
08-23-2005, 08:33 PM
download the factory service manual.

AAA240SX
08-23-2005, 08:35 PM
in the fsm don't they recommend lifting the engine with a cherry picker?

omgosh
08-23-2005, 09:06 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/omgosh/MVC-004F.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/omgosh/MVC22-001F.jpg

lol

ssa_is_shit
08-23-2005, 09:40 PM
Prefer from above, but have dropped from underneath when I was completely painting engine bay and removing all wiring and connections, including steering linkage, a/c lines, p/s lines, etc. From underneath, you can drop all the suspension along with the crossmember/power steering rack/engine/tranny as a unit, and then lift the chassis so you can either roll the chassis backwards or roll the frontend out from under the car. Prior to complete separation, the engine and tranny need to be supported from underneath or the engine will drop as the suspension folds inward from each side. Once the suspension is out, nothing holds it upright, so be prepared!!

CHARLIE2020
08-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Add that pic to you know your a redneck jokes.

SimpleS14
08-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Add that pic to you know your a redneck jokes.

But the pickup truck is a Toyota........

AAA240SX
08-23-2005, 11:19 PM
ssa: your reply was exactly what i was looking for.

i'm going to be towing the chassis over to my body shop so it can be free'd of rust and painted, etc.

i thought of having two hydraulic jacks setup to support the entire unit from underneath. one at the tranny and one at the crossmember to hold the weight of the engine up front.

would you recommend having any other support at the both ends of the suspension possibly? once it is out should i allow it to fall inward upon itself or should I create some sort of brace to hold the suspension ends apart...

i am familiar with which components to tear down in order to do this. i just want to make sure that i'll be safe in the process... a friend will be helping but I want to make sure I save myself from as much unecessary trouble as possible.

thanks...

AAA240SX
08-23-2005, 11:21 PM
omgosh: nice pulley system you got...reminds me of my high school physics class.

if i had a monstruous ass tree like that in my yard i would mos def giv it a shot!

nrg
08-24-2005, 01:35 AM
in the fsm don't they recommend lifting the engine with a cherry picker?
I guess I have to hold your hands through this one. Get the Factory service manual and open up the page to the engine bay. it will show you the bolts to remove the crossmember; which the engine mount is on.

omgosh
08-24-2005, 02:48 AM
haha, the pictures arent mine....I ghetto rig stuff but not that much :D

AAA240SX
08-24-2005, 09:53 AM
nrg...you're a smart ass...but thanks anyway, my point was that the FSM does not actually recommend removing the motor by dropping the crossmember.

that is now beside the point, i got the information i was looking for. So this thread is no longer of any use. thanks for the technical input guys...