PDA

View Full Version : Ignition switch going bad?!?

KwKouki
08-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Some people tell me that my s13 is falling apart...... I like to think of it as foreplay :wiggle:

A bit ago I made a post about my car not starting in the heat. I went through a checklist of what could have been wrong

Starter [ X ] *changed old one, put new one in, THEN put old one back in*
Battery [ X ] *although it seemed to help a bit with a newer battery*
Flywheel [ X ] *Thank the car gods*

I even replaced a worn negative battery terminal. However the car still starts when it feels like starting.

I noticed that when I jiggle the key, it will catch. Which makes me think that the ignition switch is going bad. Instead of tearing out my steering column/dash, could I simply run a push button starter to fix this.

Neejay
11-15-2005, 05:54 PM
Some people tell me that my s13 is falling apart...... I like to think of it as foreplay :wiggle:

A bit ago I made a post about my car not starting in the heat. I went through a checklist of what could have been wrong

Starter [ X ] *changed old one, put new one in, THEN put old one back in*
Battery [ X ] *although it seemed to help a bit with a newer battery*
Flywheel [ X ] *Thank the car gods*

I even replaced a worn negative battery terminal. However the car still starts when it feels like starting.

I noticed that when I jiggle the key, it will catch. Which makes me think that the ignition switch is going bad. Instead of tearing out my steering column/dash, could I simply run a push button starter to fix this.
Did you get the problem worked out?

I had to run a push button starter (+ turn the key all the way), but last night my starter wont do anything...no clicking, or even trying to turn.

theicecreamdan
11-15-2005, 07:27 PM
on the opposite side of where you put the key in there is something that screws onto the ignition cylinder. Mine broke, wired up a switch and button for it.

s14_drifter8
11-15-2005, 07:45 PM
I got the same problem. The screw that holds the ingnition switch to the the key hole was loose. All I had to do was tighten it back up and it starts like a charm. Make sure to put thread locker on it.

ledzeppelin240
11-16-2005, 10:37 AM
Here is what the ignition switch looks like and the screw that s14_drifter8 was talking about...

Neejay
11-16-2005, 03:50 PM
Here is what the ignition switch looks like and the screw that s14_drifter8 was talking about...
THANKS A LOT for those pics. Now I know what to look for when I attempt to check these out.

Question though, what would cause the ignition to be able to wiggle up and down? Thats what mine does. (I can move the part where you stick the key in up and down, very loose). Does that screw have anything to do with it?

theicecreamdan
11-16-2005, 05:30 PM
no that screw doesnt hold anything else together, only the actual switch onto the part in there that turns the switch.

altralosix
11-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Woo a problem I have plenty of experience with.

I, also, had an issue where I had to jiggle my key to get my car to start. Not sure if it was cooincidence or what, but one night my car decided to not start at all.

Took me 3 days of studying the entire ignition system and tracing down the problem. I even resorted to taking the starter off and getting it tested.

Here's how you can check the ignition switch. Just jump together the wires on the back side of it that make it do fun things. Schematic of what wires do what is on page EL-12 of the S13 service manual. Anyway (I think) jump together the W and B/W wires and see what happens. Hell, try jumping together all of them and see what happens. Learn how to hot-wire an S13 in the process! I wish I could remember exactly what wires do what, but I figured it out myself with some wire and a little time, so you can do it too.

If you get NOTHING, check your clutch switch. Disconnect the plug from the back of it and jam a piece of wire between the two connectors on the plug just to keep that jumped to rule it out.

Hear any clicking coming from the engine bay when you try to start? I did. My problem ended up being the starter relay which is a blue box attached to the body close to the battery. $20~ from the stealership.

Also, the jiggling the key problem disappeared after all of my trouble. I guess reassembling the steering column fixed it? No idea. Anyway it's entirely possible to test out everything on the ignition system without spending any money, I'm so glad I didn't blow any money on a new starter or ignition switch. Study EL-12 in the FSM and start testing.

edit: oh yeah, after you mess with the ignition switch you're going to realize your S13 is NOT safe and you're going to start finding ways of securing it :) If I was determined to steal an S13 I wager I could drive it away within 60 seconds of getting inside.

edit again: The starter relay I was talking about is referred to as the Interlock Relay in the FSM

borohingacoupe
11-23-2005, 05:15 PM

I am having this same problem...

Do you have to take the column out to get to that screw? Damn that seems like a lot of work...

I think i will start with the Interlock Relay...

Matt

projectRDM
11-23-2005, 06:01 PM
I am having this same problem...

Do you have to take the column out to get to that screw? Damn that seems like a lot of work...

I think i will start with the Interlock Relay...

Matt

Take the column cover off, it's right there in your face. In the pics you can see how close it is to the stalk, did you seriously think you'd need to pull the column anyway?

borohingacoupe
11-23-2005, 10:01 PM
Take the column cover off, it's right there in your face. In the pics you can see how close it is to the stalk, did you seriously think you'd need to pull the column anyway?

Not really. I have had the cover off before, but I wasn't looking at that side of the ignition switch. In your pics the column was out so I just had to be sure...