PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Igniter Chip

coachola
08-17-2005, 02:56 AM
Hey guys, I've been having an interesting problem with my 240, and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Yes, I am a bit of a :newbie: to this forum, and I apologize for bringing a technical issue, but you've got to start somewhere. I've completed a couple of engine swaps, headgaskets, lots of other work, and so forth, but have never been a genius with the wiring of this particular car. This was my second SR swap. The wiring harness was from an SOHC motor, but rewired -ie butt-connected- for a DOHC. On this one, I completed the mechanical work, but my buddy did the repinning of the harness and so forth. Everything got in, and the car idled fine, and we even drove it a bit just around the outside of the garage.

Here's where the fun begins. Everyone knows that fuel could be somewhat of a problem with a stock fuel pump to an SR motor. So I got an SR fuel pump and went to install it. I forgot to disconnect the battery in retrospect. I soldered in the new one, and went to start the car, it didn't start. Nuts. I checked all of the wiring, and it was all fine, then I removed the fuel line and turned on ACC, fuel was being pumped. Still no start. Checked spark, ah-ha! Figured it was a blown igniter chip, since it didn't work on my other 240 when I swapped them. I was right, the old one was blown. However, when I tried to start the 240 with the functional igniter chip, I saw smoke coming from the engine bay. My buddy went to investigate while I stopped cranking the car, and he burned his hand badly on the igniter chip. We inspected the damage. Apparantly my previously working igniter chip had gotten so hot in 20 sec. of cranking to burn through my entire wiring harness!!! Since I didn't do the wiring, I have no idea what the deal is. Could it be a hot power cable mis-wired? A blown fuse because of the fuel pump install -highly unlikely-?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.