PDA

View Full Version : Pulley Fan Probs

Amish240coupe
08-13-2005, 04:04 AM
Yeah, so my car is a big rolling POS...I was driving and started smelling burnt plastic, so I get out of pop the hood only to see small pieces of black plastic all over my engine bay, so I look at the fan off of the pump, and noticed there's black shit all over the blades. I get underneath the car only to see a huge hole in the bottom of my fan shroud, I have no idea why those 2 pieces would come in contact, but the did. So I removed the bottom part of the shroud, but waiting on my filter to dry out before I start it. Anyone ever hear of this happening? What would cause this problem, and does it have anything to do with loud air noise coming from my engine bay that I posted in my last post?
Another question I have regarding this is I know people upgrade their electric fans to the Altima or Maxima factory fans and get rid of the pump fan, would that setup directly wire to the factory electric fan I have now, or would I have to modify it?

caall99
08-13-2005, 10:50 AM
i think ur fan clutch is busted, and u might be interpreting the noise as the intake. this happened on my old supra, and it was unbearably loud!! i also had black shit sprayed all over my engine compartement and fan blades. it was actually the fluid from the fan clutch assembly. i ended up getting a FAL e-fan.

Amish240coupe
08-14-2005, 02:33 AM
but isnt the housing on it attached to the water pump? I just had a new pump put on about 6 months ago...shouldn't that have fixed the problem

kandyflip445
08-14-2005, 02:43 AM
The fan clutch bolts to the pump. You can take it off by removing 4 fasteners.

Amish240coupe
08-14-2005, 05:19 AM
haha, ok so I did a search....and I was told that a good sign your clutch fan is broken, is if the car is completely off, you should be able to spin the fan without moving the crank or the pulleys, right? Well, in my case, the fan is stuck...it moves, BUT only when i use enough force to spin the pulleys. I guess that means it's broken, huh?

caall99
08-14-2005, 10:34 PM
ya mon! :wiggle: