PDA

View Full Version : car has spark and fuel but wont start...please help

nschultz0124
08-12-2005, 09:21 PM
car is a 95 240sx automatic. I just swapped in a different motor which came out of a manual trans car if that makes a difference. It will crank but wont turn over. the timing is correct as is the firing order because there are no backfires or funny sounds. the last try to get it started tonight resulted in just a fast clicking from what sounded like the starter. I know for a fact that the battery is mostly dead because it has to be hooked up to jumper cables to get the results I am getting. Tomorrow i am going to check to make sure that the throttle body is opening up although I think it is because I wouldnt be smelling the gas on the spark plugs. come to think of it there is one sensor, the after cat o2 sensor that is not plugged in at all, could that cause this. Please help I am stumped on this one and have no idea where to go next.

Thanks in advance

Nick

drifter808
08-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Now this may be a stupid question but are fuel lines correct? The only reason i ask is cause i had mine crossed and had all the same symptoms but fixed them and it started right up.

shift_knob
08-13-2005, 01:29 AM
Yep. Check the fuel lines. Make sure your battery is well charged. The post-cat sensor is a catalytic converter efficiency monitor and has nothing to do with fuel trim adjustments. Leaving that sensor unplugged will set a code and cause the MIL to come on. Why would you check if the throttle body is opening? Do you start your car at WOT? Its not a carbureted engine, so you don't have to prime it with acceleration pumps.

Grab a blow torch and feed propane (unlit) into the throttle body or into a vaccum connection on the intake plenum. Propane is a hydrocarbon so it won't hurt your engine. If the engine runs on propane, its your fuel supply. If there is no change, check your ignition. Simple, right?

If you are positive that its getting spark and fuel, maybe you should check if your IAC valve is connected and cycling.