PDA

View Full Version : Not Your Average Intake ?

Pacman
08-12-2005, 01:50 AM
Ok, we all know that Power=Oxygen+Fuel. I like it but the +Fuel part. My question is how much lower will the fuel mileage be? With a gallon of gas being $2.81 9/10th's, I'm don't wanna lower the mileage. I get 20-21 consistantly and don't want it to go down anymore. Will one of those eBay intakes reduce teh fuel mileage. Thanks

Nan Desu Ka?!
08-12-2005, 02:35 AM
if anything, it will increase ur gas milage, not decrease it. only way to decrease it would be to get bigger injectors or remap you fuel curves.

correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure a better flowing intake will increase your gas milage. at least that is what i have always been told.

anyone wanna back me up on this?

240Ferg
08-12-2005, 03:39 AM
From my experience, that will be a give and take. Better flowing air with less turbulence will lead to more complete combustion more power and better fuel economy IF the same volume of air was going into the engine. The stock computer will not remap the fuel curve but the other sensors, O2 esp. can tell is to send more fuel due to the larger volume of air you send through that new intake. In the end the add to fuel economy could be 10-15% if you drive easy but if you drive hard you will end up loosing

orion::S14
08-12-2005, 06:19 AM
Bigest thing vontrolling fuel mileage is your right foot!

An intake should, in theory, reduce the pumping losses and make the engine more efficient...which is good for better gas mileage.

But it's a double-edged sword: If you're easy on it, you'll get better mileage than if you had a stock intake...if you're hard on it, it now can ingest more air than before, and the mileage will be SIGNIFICANTLY worse than if you were flogging it with a stock intake installed.

- Brian

junkilo
08-12-2005, 12:28 PM
to get better fuel economy you'd do better with some colder air.

ranisron
08-12-2005, 09:05 PM
here's my example, I have been doing this for 8 times this summer.
Before the filter - 28-29 ish
K&N drop in filter - 30 mpg
K&N drop in filter + highflow cat (3inch) - 30-31 mpg
JWT pop charger + highflow cat (3 inch) - 32 mpg
JWT pop charger + 3 inch cat + 3 inch ssauto exhaust - 30 mpg
then... I switched to syntec oil. ----> 29 mpg. fuck

EDIT: the route is the same, I go to the same gas station every time I head to Pittsburgh, PA from Bloomington, IN. Get gas in Martinsville IN, then fill up in Cambridge, OH (should be 289 miles in total)

chlatboy
08-12-2005, 11:00 PM
You guys think that tornado shit works? It suppose to improve power and gas mileage!!!

Nan Desu Ka?!
08-13-2005, 02:00 AM
no, no it doesnt. this has been proven by NUMEROUS car mags/shows. It will do absolutly dick for airflow.

S14DB
08-13-2005, 07:28 AM
You can flow more air at the same throttle position. So, the throttle at the same position you will use more gas. However, you make more power at the same position. So, you can make the same power with less throttle. With the efficiency improvements you should be able to make more power with less Air/Fuel.

Pacman
08-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Ranisron: How the thee hell do you get 30MPG??? The most I can get is 23MPG mixed highway/city. Even Nissan didn't have that for there MPG estimates.

240Ferg: You talk about turbulence. If I were to remove the fins in the airbox and get rid of the flex peices, would that help reduce turbulence?

Right now, I'm not really looking for power, I'm more looking for MPG and not power. Adding power will be awesome, but not a necssary. I have a K&N drop-in filter and a N1 exhaust.

S14DB
08-13-2005, 05:39 PM
I get about 31MPG+ HW with I/H/E.

KA24DESOneThree
08-13-2005, 05:49 PM
I get about 31MPG+ HW with I/H/E.

I got 33mpg coming back from Vegas at an average speed of about 65mph.

Drilled airbox is my only modification. I am running a J30 rear rather than stock, though.

240Ferg
08-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Getting rid of the flex pipe would help the fins would as well but there is a reason for them being there just like the sharp bends in an old fashon breather (model t stuff here) they had oil in the botom no paper filter. Air can flow in any direction but dirt cant do a 180 it will keep going in a basicly straight line and would get stuck in the oil. You didnt have a filter to change just the oil in your breather. Just wipe down the fins to see how much grime is on them vs the flats in the filter box. We all know a stock filter let a lot of trash through. The fins are to help with some of the stuff the filter lets through. So if you clean every thing up to flow better buy a GOOD filter :)