PDA

View Full Version : 96' S14 - RBXX Conversion Quires - RB26/30 T78-33d - Drift/circut

GDZ1LA
08-11-2005, 08:10 PM
96' S14 - RBXX Conversion Quires - RB26/30 T78-33d - Drift

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
im in new zealand car is right hand drive, therfore i have no issues with exh downpipes etc,

im just got myself a 96 s14 body in rolling condition minus motor and box
it is ex japanese race car has a bride seat safty 21 cage, gtr brakes, braided lines fi glass bonnet, and a few aftermarket bits,
it have been told it has rb crossmember in it, it dosnt look like my gts or gtr one tho, any idea whats it out of? its got hicas on it, (front sub frame)
the old sr20 one is in the boot so its not that,

whats involved in this conversion it seams to have quite a small gearbox tunnel it was orignally tubo manual, is it a mission to hammer the tunnel to size?
will a cut down gtr transmission fit? i have one wioth a cut off transer box, itsnot old loner than a sr20 one but wider too, i will make a ucutom 1 peice drive shaft, as only 150 to weld, where will gearstick appear? in std sr20 hole?
i will lower engine as much as i can due to the rb30 height and center of gravity etc, how much can this be done with a std 2wd steel sump? lowering will also help a little with the gearbox i think, its a full race car so will solid alloy mounts for engine be ok, or i could use a block of teflon or somthink, since engine will be lowered i could make mounts simple buy drilling 2 holes and placing bolts trought

sorry about all the ?? but ive owned skylines for 5 years and wanted this as my gts body is a pile of shit and heavy older more common etc
this is my first silvia and no a sr20 is not a option lol,

please any 1 got tech tips on this conversion?

drift freaq
08-11-2005, 08:26 PM
the RB will swap into a S13 or S14 without a problem. I have a RB25 in a S13 Fastback with no problems and my buddy has a S14 with a RB25 in it. He is currently putting a RB26 into a S13 coupe. RB's are getting more popular now on the install scene here in the states , though SR's still are more the norm.

mellojoe
08-11-2005, 08:56 PM
look up Underground Motorsports (www.UndergroundMotorsports.com). They had an RB26DETT (yes, they kept the twin turbo configuartion) s14. It was decent. Real decent. They used to float around the boards... but I can't find where they are anymore. The owner, Chris, is a pretty decent guy. They had a connection to HCI Magazine and got featured a few times, even wrote a few tech articles for them.

Its possible, it just costs $$$$. Most of the time you may find a decent front clip for around $8000. So, if thats your starting point.... it only goes up from there.

TheSnail
08-11-2005, 09:06 PM
I can give you advice on a rb26 swap. But rb30dett is out of my leage. I do know you can not just bolt the head on the block. Machine work is needed. Just stick to the 26. The 30 has more torque, but the max hp capabilities of the block is less then the 26. If you want a pre built rb30, email GTRShop. If you want to swap in a 26, shoot us your questions.

umsports
08-13-2005, 08:33 AM
look up Underground Motorsports (www.UndergroundMotorsports.com). They had an RB26DETT (yes, they kept the twin turbo configuartion) s14. It was decent. Real decent. They used to float around the boards... but I can't find where they are anymore. The owner, Chris, is a pretty decent guy. They had a connection to HCI Magazine and got featured a few times, even wrote a few tech articles for them.

Its possible, it just costs $$$$. Most of the time you may find a decent front clip for around $8000. So, if thats your starting point.... it only goes up from there.

Hey Joe,

I'm still around, just not as much as I'd like on Zilvia..

I do more reading than posting these days...

The RB26 is the better bet...600whp on factory internals with the right tuning is doable...Which is downright scary in a 240SX...

We ended up, after it was all said and done, making 406rwhp on factory turbos at 18 PSI....pretty crazy ride in a car that lightweight...

If you are going for drift/circuit be careful and dont up the rev limit past 8000...The RB motors are notorious for oil starvation problems at high RPM's...

I'd leave the factory Rev limit intact....and 100% recommend you purchase a JUN oil pump....It's expensive but it's insurance for your motor..

McKinney built one of these about a 1-2 years ago for another shop in CA and the motor gave out first time down the track...