PDA

View Full Version : 240 Wont Start?

Irving18m
08-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Im going to ask other 240 boards and search but basically i just got my 93 240 and just did a full tuneup. Car has been acting a little weird even after i have done all of this, a little sluggish and whatnot. So I leave work and it starts fine but initally its hard keeping it from dying but after a few seconds of revving it stays at good idle, this morning when coming to a stop or slowing down the rpms would drop and it would almost die, even did one time. So i get home and head back out 10 mins later and the dash lights come on and it clicks but it wont start. I went to get the battery tested and he said its good. Any ideas? My 1st assumption would be fuel pump bit im not quite sure? Thanks :rant:

j.tom
08-12-2005, 11:39 AM
Try replacing the fuel filter.

Irving18m
08-12-2005, 02:37 PM
I did that. It ran fine after, this happend about 3 days later. Any other ideas?

slider2828
08-12-2005, 03:42 PM
What voltage did your battery say? wires and plug check even though you did it a couple of days ago.

SHIFT_control
08-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Did you clean the throttle body when you tuned it up? I did the same thing on my Pathy and it ran like shit untill I cleaned the t-body. Now it runs better then it ever did.

aznpoopy
08-12-2005, 06:00 PM
exactly what did you do when you tuned up the car?

you might have a small leak in a fuel hose causing the car to bog...
you might have a small leak in a vacuum hose causing idleing issues...

there's alot of small things that could cause problems. but if the car was running fine before you did work on the car, usually its something related to what you did.

SDS14Driver
08-12-2005, 06:22 PM
Not enough info really. Sounds like ur dealing with something internal. I had similar problems when i had my S13, it surged a bit while @ crusing speed and start up was always rough for about 30 seconds. In my case, 1 of the cylinders was bad so i just sold it.

You can test that buy unhooking the spark plug wire connecting to your coil and cranking it over to look for engine hop and the way it sounds. If it's jumpin around in there, 1 or more of ur cylinders is bad. Listen for how it cranks for irregularities as well. Even with 1 bad cylindar though, mine drove fairly descent after changing the O2 sensor, still rough start up though.

I agree with poopy, we need to know what u did when u tuned the car and when you say all it does is click... Does it crank at all?

& is urs SOHC or DOHC?

Irving18m
08-12-2005, 06:47 PM
I have a 93 240. Wow this post got way into left field but thanks for those replys regarding my hessitation issues. That is the least of my worries right now. I have starting problems right now that i need fixed. :( Refer to my 1st post and this is from today...
:angry: My new car is posessed! So i get an email after i made my last post saying to bypass the starter relay by putting paper clip ends in the 2 pieces off the wiring harness, so I did. Car started right up, my dumbass decides to drive the car to the junkyards and stop at a gas station and get back out to start the car and nothing. With the paper clips back in it just turns over but wont start, I tried MANY times but it wouldnt fire up. So the clips on a hot motor must not work?! So i tried everything and nothing at all would work. So i make the 30 minute trek to the junkyard by foot and get 2 relays from wrecked 240's, I make it back and install both and neither does any good. It just clicks as its doing as when it started. I put the paper clips back in and it starts right up. (engine has cooled down by now). Now im at home with no where to start since I was positive that it was the relay?! Thanks

SDS14Driver
08-13-2005, 11:27 AM
lol. just take it to a shop man. I saw some good posts above that may help you out. I'm glad you got your car started via paper clip but why would you drive it... We want to know what you did when you tuned it cause like poopy said, the work you did may be contributing to your starting issues.

What were you looking to get at the junk yard btw? I don't see how anything there would correct your problem. Start with the basics and work your way through if you really want to fix it yourself. The fact that the car turned over when you bypassed the starter relay says a lot in itself.

Pull your starter and get that tested. Test the ohms on the relay. but never look over the basics, vaccum leaks, fuses, spark. Speaking of which, pull your plugs and look for clues that way. You can tell a lot about what's going on inside by the way your plugs wear.

Look for clues, anything that would inhibit the correct amount of air, fuel & spark getting blown up at the proper time.

Good luck.

marios13
08-13-2005, 05:33 PM
this happened to me a month ago change your fuel pump, get walbro
and fuel filter, and also b4 u do this when you turn the ignition to accessory do you hear a wwoooing sound if so then ur fuel pump is working if not then its ur fuel pump going ..

Irving18m
08-13-2005, 06:40 PM
When I got the car I did, oil change, fuel filter, ngk's, wires, cap, and rotor. It ran pretty good afterwards.
At the junkyard i was looking for more starter relays since that seemed to be the problem but now i have tried 4 others and no luck with them.
And when someone else attempts to start the car i hear the fuel pump working perfectly from the rear so i am counting that out.
Someone told me yesterday and i have read that if the car pushstarts and u can get it started then its probably the starter and that makes sense? Right? I have planned to pull it tomorrow and get it tested since I am out of ideas! :bash:

idlafie
08-14-2005, 12:52 AM
When I got the car I did, oil change, fuel filter, ngk's, wires, cap, and rotor. It ran pretty good afterwards.
At the junkyard i was looking for more starter relays since that seemed to be the problem but now i have tried 4 others and no luck with them.
Never rely on used relays UNLESS you've tested them & made sure they are good. You'll need a 12 volt power source & a voltmeter/continuity tester.
And when someone else attempts to start the car i hear the fuel pump working perfectly from the rear so i am counting that out. Is this WITH the relay installed OR with the paper clip installed?? If your car does NOT start with the relay installed but DOES start with the paper clip installed then you have a wiring harness problem. Either the ground wire or the 12 volt positive wire leading to the relay could have shorted out somewhere. You'll have to open up a Factory Service Manual, (FSM) and trace the wires.
Someone told me yesterday and i have read that if the car pushstarts and u can get it started then its probably the starter and that makes sense? Right? I have planned to pull it tomorrow and get it tested since I am out of ideas! :bash:
GAWD!!..not another one!!...Why is it most everyone here on Zilvia assumes that just because your car don't start that the starter's gone bad?? Have you ever thought to consider that the START position, (the key position that supplies the 12 volts to your starter), on the ignition switch could have gone bad ??? I learned this the hard way after I replaced EVERYTHING on my starter circuit & still couldn't figure out why my car had starting problems. Had I checked the START position on the ignition switch I would have solved my problems right away. Boy did I learn an important lesson that day!!
Anyhow...hope this helps...sorry bout the rant....
ID

Irving18m
08-14-2005, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the replys man, i have heard so many different answers now that its so confusing what to do. So as you said, the car will start on a cool engine with the paperclips, but just clicks with all 5 starter relays i have tried.
The car started perfect a week prior to this.
So what happens when your ignition switch goes out and what exactly is an ignition switch? Im pretty sure that i saw an extra ignition with a key in the rear of the car when i got it in a bag, that might be a sign of something? Thanks for your help. Let me know what I might want to try.

Irving18m
08-14-2005, 03:01 PM
GRRR! A friend came over today and helped me pull the starter, we got it tested and it tested good. One small part of info I forgot is that when I got the car, a spare ignition switch with keys was in a bag in the trunk. Something seems fishy with that, and as we pulled the igniton housing we saw some of the wires under had been cut and crimped. Whatever the case being, we are out of ideas so if anyone wants to help me figure this out please let me know! I am desperate! Thanks

Irving18m
08-14-2005, 04:24 PM
GRR I just figuered it out. I got my 240 back! :duh:

idlafie
08-14-2005, 11:46 PM
GRR I just figuered it out. I got my 240 back! :duh:
Glad to hear.....what was the solution?? Be nice to know so others can try this repair if they have this same problem.
ID

j.tom
08-15-2005, 09:41 AM
So,What was the problem???Let us know!!

badvbe1992
09-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Glad to hear.....what was the solution?? Be nice to know so others can try this repair if they have this same problem.
ID

what fixedit!!!!!!!!!! im going through this now :goyou:

Irving18m
09-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Sorry I left this hanging, i was emabressed to post my solution. So the clutch pedal pushes on the clutch safety switch, which has this rubber grommet that pushes the button. My rubber button broke and fell off, so thats why the car would not start cause the clutch wasnt being pushed in. :ugh: Good luck, and im quite sure this is no one elese problem but it wont hurt to look at the clutch safety switch!

umzenki
09-15-2005, 09:32 AM
clutch switch happens

badvbe1992
09-24-2005, 01:56 PM
Thanks for getting back i was checking around that area today but didnt look too hard ill check again because of your post later :werd: