PDA

View Full Version : Why in the F*&$ wont my car start in the heat!!!

KwKouki
08-10-2005, 02:14 PM
$195 - Brand new Starter
3hrs labor - short lived sucess
Waking up only to have a car that wont turn over - #$%@^(@%$&^*%

My s13 has had trouble starting lately. From what I noticed, I figured it was a flat spot or a bad solenoid. We switched it over last night and the car turned over perfectly. I tried it a few times JUST to make sure we fixed what needed to be fixed, and it turned over every time.

I go downstairs to run my errands, and the car WILL NOT %&*#&^% start!!!!! Not a noise, click, whir, ect. My car has power, so its not the battery, and it worked fine last night so it has to be the heat. I had to push start my car the past 2 weeks if I let it sit in the sun.

What is wrong with my car? I am about to zip tie some C-4 to the frame and not look back.

Flybert
08-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Just because the battery has power, doesn't mean it isn't bad.

KwKouki
08-10-2005, 03:05 PM
can you explain the heat thing though?? Car usually works fine at night.

BaliLover
08-10-2005, 10:41 PM
Mine does the same thing in the heat, turn the key and no attempt to start, although mine makes a slight clicking noise. All I do is keep turning the key back and forth quickly and eventually it will start, but it might take 10-15 turns of the key.

SR240DET
08-10-2005, 11:44 PM
check your connections on the alt. starter and get your battery checked... walmart does it for free... and so does autozone...

midnight zenki
08-11-2005, 08:47 AM
I know most of your focus has been placed on the starter and ignition system but when I owned my 91 I had similar problems when it got hot outside. My problem stemmed from a bad fuel pump, due to the heat and lack of gas being moved by the dying pump the car was essentially experiencing vapor lock. I threw in a Walbro pump and no more problems. This may be something else to look into at the least.

drifther
08-11-2005, 09:21 AM
Mine does the same thing in the heat, turn the key and no attempt to start, although mine makes a slight clicking noise. All I do is keep turning the key back and forth quickly and eventually it will start, but it might take 10-15 turns of the key.

That's exactly what my car does too but it starts in 2-4 tries. I'm going to look into what midnight_zenki said though.

idlafie
08-14-2005, 02:04 AM
If it's not your starter relay that's gone bad, then it's the START position on your ignition switch. Check both those items out & see what happens. Chances are it could be the START position on the ignition switch. They go bad after a while. Don't ask me how I know...
ID