PDA

View Full Version : Anyone help me find a wire?

modestmouse
08-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Hey everyone, I know I don't post here much but I have a problem I think you could help me with. Please Please Please help!

I need to find a wire that has 12 volts to it when the key is ON, 0V when the key is off, and 12V when the key is in the start position. I have a 1990 KA24E. Thanks everyone.

rancid240
08-08-2005, 06:13 PM
just use the yellow wire that connects to the stereo.

s13driver
08-08-2005, 06:27 PM
you can also use the wire( orange/black) for the cigarette lighter..

modestmouse
08-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Wow, that's pretty simple. Thanks so much guys!

projectRDM
08-08-2005, 07:47 PM
If you guys drive as well as you read, we're all dead.

There is no yellow wire behind the radio, at all. Even if there was it's not powered as requested. Neither is the cigarette lighter.

Only the black/red at the steering column is +12V when the key is on AND during start. No other wire remains powered.

radhaz
08-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Your best bet is to download the FSM for your car and go from there. Just remember to check whatever wire you end up using with a multimeter first so you don't inadvertantly drain your battery or cause any other mishaps.

modestmouse
08-09-2005, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I checked the wires last night with a voltmeter and I was pretty bummed. I was thinking that maybe I could tap a wire right after the fuel pump relay in the engine compartment. The fuel pump runs when key is on and when it starts so what do you think.

I'll look for a FSM. The ecu pinouts and wiring diagrams are really worth it.

96twofourty
08-09-2005, 10:10 AM
why dont you buy a $15 multimeter?

projectRDM
08-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Yeah, I checked the wires last night with a voltmeter and I was pretty bummed. I was thinking that maybe I could tap a wire right after the fuel pump relay in the engine compartment. The fuel pump runs when key is on and when it starts so what do you think.

I'll look for a FSM. The ecu pinouts and wiring diagrams are really worth it.

Shame you can't read. I told you which wire to use just a few posts above. Black/red. At the key switch. Main ignition lead. Also found at the ECU. And a few other places. Guess that FSM isn't going to do you shit since you're illiterate.
And FYI, the fuel pump relay is NOT on during start, it comes on for a few seconds before starting, and then on constant after starting.

modestmouse
08-10-2005, 03:11 PM
why dont you buy a $15 multimeter?

Yeah, I checked the wires last night with a voltmeter and I was pretty bummed.

Shame you can't read. I told you which wire to use just a few posts above. Black/red. At the key switch. Main ignition lead. Also found at the ECU. And a few other places. Guess that FSM isn't going to do you shit since you're illiterate.
And FYI, the fuel pump relay is NOT on during start, it comes on for a few seconds before starting, and then on constant after starting.

Thank you for going WAY out of your way to be an asshole. I missed a sentence you said -- there's no reason to be a dick. By the way, it can't be the only wire that is on during start. Are you trying to say that the coil packs aren't powered when the car is on and when the engine is being started? How about the power wires for the injectors? These must be +12v, or else the injectors wouldn't fire and neither would the plugs. I don't plan on digging into my dash to find a wire. I was looking for one in the engine bay. Being an asshole doesn't make you more right. Thanks for your "advice," but I would rather not have it in the future if you can't be civil.

RiversideS13
08-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Thank you for going WAY out of your way to be an asshole. I missed a sentence you said -- there's no reason to be a dick. By the way, it can't be the only wire that is on during start. Are you trying to say that the coil packs aren't powered when the car is on and when the engine is being started? How about the power wires for the injectors? These must be +12v, or else the injectors wouldn't fire and neither would the plugs. I don't plan on digging into my dash to find a wire. I was looking for one in the engine bay. Being an asshole doesn't make you more right. Thanks for your "advice," but I would rather not have it in the future if you can't be civil.

you call people who tried to help you ahole? thats a real cool way to show your appreciation. your question at begging was not clear already.

projectRDM
08-10-2005, 06:34 PM

Alright fuckass, let's regroup here. You asked a question. I answered it. Not only did I answer it but I corrected the other two idiots who told you useless shit that had no basis on your question. Your next response was you crying because you couldn't get the answer you wanted, even though I posted it for you. I then reposted my answer, and even went more in depth to help you further, going out of my way.
And now you're crying because my answer was mean. How old are you, 12?

And by the way, when you get that FSM, trace the schematic and tell us where that black/red wire goes after it leaves the column. I'll bet it goes to the ECU, then feeds the injectors. The CAS and coil are NOT powered by that lead, they're triggered by the ECCS relay.
If it was an SR, the igniter would be on that same line, but the coilpacks are not.

modestmouse
08-11-2005, 10:39 AM
I found another wire that worked. Thanks everyone! BTW, I'm swapping an RB20.

EdmondDontess
08-11-2005, 04:59 PM
If you can find one, make one. throw a fuse on it.

use solder, take your time. cant go wrong with that - and probably worth the effort now, you will probably end up doing it later anyways.