PDA

View Full Version : exhaust rattle

tnord
03-04-2002, 11:02 PM
after all the problems with getting my exhuast it finally came today. took me about 30min to install it. anyway, when i drive at rpms above 3000 and hold the revs, or when accelerating in 1st at low revs (1500-2000) there is a kind of a low rattle coming from the very rear of the car. almost like the tip is touching the bumper and vibrating. but of course i can not see this while i am driving.  i put both gaskets in and i thought i tightened down the bolts well enough, but i could be wrong.  wondering if anyone else has had this experience with this or other exhaust systems. thanks in advance

drift freaq
03-04-2002, 11:26 PM
My HKS rattles against the tow hook on my S13 I am about to take off the tow hook. that should eliminate the problem

BadMoJo
03-05-2002, 12:50 AM
check to see how close it is to the bumper, then check foe loose heat shields. I hear those are always doin that. all i can think of right now.

boosteds14
03-05-2002, 07:49 AM
ok i got the 5zigen and had the same problem. this is how u solve it

the muffler is hitting the bottom of the bumper( u will see)
take a piece of rubber hose, about 2" long, cut right down the middle so u can slid the rubber hose around the metal piece that is hitting the muffler. u might want to put some poxy, or glue between the hose so it holds.

tnord
03-05-2002, 08:28 AM
i thought that might be it. when i finished the install i noticed how close to the bumper the muffler was hanging.  hey, better it be too close than hanging down too low.  i'll look at it this afternoon and post how it goes. thanks

tnord
03-05-2002, 07:24 PM
have you had any problems with the rubber hose melting to the muffler? i know that thing can get pretty hot.  i just don't want to put the hose on there then get rubber goo all over the place.  maybe i'll look for some silicone hose tomorrow.

boosteds14
03-05-2002, 10:21 PM
no the muffler doesnt get so hot that it melts the rubber. try to use fuel hose because it is alittle bit stronger.

tnord
03-05-2002, 11:38 PM
yeah, i bought fuel hose this afternoon, but thought about it and got worried about it melting. thanks for the help

240 2NR
03-06-2002, 01:13 PM
Tnord-

So aside from the rattle what's your impression?  I'm going to be putting mine on this weekend.

tnord
03-06-2002, 01:52 PM
initial impression of the 5z is positive.....but, some of you may know that i had no piping after the cat for 2 weeks. so i had a car that sounded like a race car with a massive power gain.  so going to the 5Z it is a bit slower.  but i do think it's better than before. i can spin the tires goin into 2nd pretty good which i couldn't do before.  initial tone is a very mellow and airy one.  it seems to be getting a bit more pronounced by the day, so in a week or so i'll do a full write up in the review forum. it definitely looks good and is very easy to install. anyway, if anyone else has questions feel free to ask.

240 2NR
03-07-2002, 11:59 AM
Does anyone who has this exhaust on an S13 know if this rattle is a problem on that chassis also?  I'm about to install mine this weekend, but if I know its going to rattle, I'll go get some hose before I start wrenching.  I'm guessing the clearance will be ok, My friend's N1 dual cleared no problem, but they may be too different to compare.

tnord
03-07-2002, 06:00 PM
you can buy fuel line if you want, i bought a foot of it for $.78 at the local hardware store. i wouldn't bother though, i'm guessin you'll be fine.  Be patient with the sound, i've had mine on 5 days now and it keeps getting better by the day.