PDA

View Full Version : stock/ nismo / c's /etc shifter spring tension?

tastyratz
07-28-2005, 07:25 AM
what part of the shifter is responsible for sprint tension when it comes to the stock style shifter or aftermarket non full shifter replacement shifter. im talking the nismo/cs/ etc type of shifters. My friend has a b&m in his car and the spring force from left to right is greatly increased. I dont want a single get a b&m post because I dont want one. B&M shifters are too close for my comfort and I dont like them. I installed a nismo knock off type shifter the other day (which rocks installed properly btw) and since it doesnt have the additional springs the b&m has it also has stock spring tension. I was wondering in this case and even for people with stock shifters...

is there any way to increase the tension? is it just the wave washer that controls the tension... and in that case could I buy a few more from nissan and stack them to get more tension?

PROJECTRB240SX
07-28-2005, 07:32 AM
Hks Makes A Tension Spring Set.... I Believe Phase2 Carries It For Around $95.

projectRDM
07-28-2005, 11:05 AM
You can also upgrade the springs with a stiffer pair bought at any hardware store.

And save $92.

tastyratz
07-28-2005, 12:02 PM
i couldnt find a tension spring set like you were talking about anyways rb. are you thinking of the actuator for turbo apps? thats about that price. r240na has the right idea more. I wonder if I can get them in a stiffer application in that size... essentially I could double them up probabbly I would imagine right?

PROJECTRB240SX
07-28-2005, 12:10 PM
http://www.store.yahoo.com/phase2motorsports/hksshspkit.html
http://store1.yimg.com/I/phase2motorsports_1851_9795064

$95: WWW.PHASE2MOTORTREND.COM - DRIVETRAIN - DRIVETRAIN ACCESSORIES

PROJECTRB240SX
07-28-2005, 12:12 PM
I Had One Of These Sets In My Rb (way Back When) And I Liked The Hard Spring Setup On The Left Side With The Soft Spring On The Right.... Made It Harder To Miss A Gear Going Down, But Relatively Easy To Shift Up.

tastyratz
07-28-2005, 12:51 PM
oops reading comprehension > me. for some reason I checked pdm instead of phase 2. that looks cool but for something as simple as a spring and washer I cant see myself spending 97.75$ on it. I dont even think the 240 ka stock shifter HAS those 2 side springs in it at all stock shifter. I know the b&m does and the rb might but atleast I didnt see them in there for mine...

PROJECTRB240SX
07-28-2005, 12:54 PM
The Two Large Head Caps On The Side Of The Trans Has These Weak (usually Worn) Springs Installed Stablizing The Shifter.

That Kits Is 2 Outer Sets Of Springs, 2 Inner Springs, Washers, And The Hks Head Caps. Not Worht $95 But Its A Good Kit That You Can Mirror If You Want.

tastyratz
07-28-2005, 01:35 PM
aha! I see what your talking about with those springs on the side of the tranny... from the fsm. Now all I have to do is find a tranny to butcher and remove those from temporarily to find out the size and get part #'s/walkthrough for a stiffer spring for everyone.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/tastyratz/fsmshifter.gif

PROJECTRB240SX
07-28-2005, 01:52 PM
Thats Them..... Just Make Sure The Springs You Get Arent Too Stiff Or You'll Hate Shifting.

projectRDM
07-28-2005, 02:08 PM
aha! I see what your talking about with those springs on the side of the tranny... from the fsm. Now all I have to do is find a tranny to butcher and remove those from temporarily to find out the size and get part #'s/walkthrough for a stiffer spring for everyone.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/tastyratz/fsmshifter.gif

I had a set I picked up from a place but I never used them. They're around somewhere. Basically take an OE one and go to a hardware store, match it up in size and then fine the right spring to increase the tension as to how stiff you want it.

tastyratz
07-28-2005, 02:22 PM
yea i figured. my tension to fight back is way too loose anyways so I think ill try using a double spring and see if that helps. I ordered them new from nissan and it was pennies for the things so it should be an easy cheap upgrade :-) project rb: I like that idea of the hard ones on one side and soft on the other. seems like a sound plan...