PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

-usmd-180sx
07-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Ok, well I just got done working on the car lastnight but all i did was work on the testpipe and the radiator.. So I jacked the car up to work on the car.. and then I lowered it as usual.. nothing out of the blue.. But here comes the weird part.

I drive about 25 + miles from home to go hang out with some friends and as I take a off ramp.. the road bends a little to the right and then a quick lean to the left.. While i was in transition to turning left.. the steering wheel seemed a little
hesitant to turn from right back to the straight position.. So I gave it a little force and turned it left with the bend of the road..

While in the process.. I heard a sound from the engine bay... like a suspension part popping into place.. but the BAD thing was I also heard that part that popped.. hit the inside fender wall and bounce out of my car... :wtf:

And now.. my cars alignment is back to very bad... veering to the right really severely. Like how it was before I got an alignment.. The weird thing I dont get is that I didnt touch ANYTHING on the suspension or steering while I was working on it last night.. So i dont know what it could be..

And another thing is.. it seems perfectly fine while i was on the freeway.. freely switching lanes both left to right.. and then It occured almost at the end of my trip.. on the off ramp..

Any diagonse or input or sharing your ideas would help me greatly..

statik
07-24-2005, 08:23 PM
maybe start by figuring out what fell off your car...

NismoDan
07-25-2005, 03:34 AM
^
Ditto.

Jack that thing up and see what's missing.

-usmd-180sx
07-25-2005, 04:20 AM
yea.. im going to a shop tomorrow to get a exhaust bolt drilled out.. so i guess i will take a look then.. Anythought on what it might be? It was definetely from the front of the car..

Maybe on the steering column, or the tension or tie rods? Its been buggin my mind ever since lastnight man. :bash:

Just mentally inspecting what it could be in that general area...

SochBAT
07-25-2005, 07:23 AM
yea.. im going to a shop tomorrow to get a exhaust bolt drilled out.. so i guess i will take a look then.. Anythought on what it might be? It was definetely from the front of the car..

Maybe on the steering column, or the tension or tie rods? Its been buggin my mind ever since lastnight man. :bash:

Just mentally inspecting what it could be in that general area...

Maybe a bolt or something came loose? Maybe im reading ^^^ wrong, but if you wouldn't be able to drive correctly if something from the tension/tie rod came loose and fell off. You should have just looked at it right as you got off the freeway.

TheTimanator
07-25-2005, 07:43 AM
You should have just looked at it right as you got off the freeway.
seriously, if that was me I would've pulled over before I even got to the end of the on ramp.

-usmd-180sx
07-25-2005, 01:46 PM
thats what i thought about also.. after it happened.. and i always thought about going back.. but the offramp has a big ditch right near where i was.. and i didnt have a flashlight of anysort.. and there was on coming cars.. I really wanted to find out what that thing that came out tho.. shit...

I guess im S.O.L. right now tho.. its too late

-usmd-180sx
07-25-2005, 05:22 PM
wow.. i found the culprit :rl: Can anyone guess what it was?!

It was the fudging swaybar bolt on the left side.. :wtf:

How the hell did that get loose and fly off while i raising the car.. and lowered it.. I didnt do it on the crossmember.. I jacked it up on the frame rails itself.. bah.. im baffled but happy I found out what it was and replaced it..

Is there a possibilty that having that bolt off and the sway bar hanging on only the right bolt could altered my alignmet somehow??

And how was it possible my steering that night got alittle stuck intransition from right to left... making me force the wheel a little and then popping the bolt off..

Questions in this world to the answers I would like to know :doh: