PDA

View Full Version : Need some help, slaping sound from the front of the motor

Bdubs
07-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Well, finally got it driving, and now this. At idle there is no idication of any proublems, but when you get on the throttle, bad news.

When the throttle gets to about 2, 3k rpms a bad slapping sound, like something is loose, comes from the front of the motor. Really not sure what it is, but it dosent sound to healthy

Do not believe it is rod knock, its not apparent at idle, and its not constant, dont think its or piston slap.

I think it may be the timing chain, it sounds like it could be loose, and it slaping around at the higher rpms. Would a timing chain make noise all the time, do they go bad often?

Also, I have another issue, it seems my idle is a little goofy, idles fine, but when you give it some gas, its sticks, then you can give it a blip, and it goes right back? Is it simply a sticky throttle plate, or throttle cable? Or is there something in the computer that is telling the car to do that?

awsomeo5000
07-22-2005, 06:42 PM
i dont know what kind of car you have, probly a s13, if so mine made a weird noise at at 3k, it is the sheild that covers your exhaust right by the downpipe. remove the sheild and it will stop making that noise.

Bdubs
07-22-2005, 08:00 PM
Ok the car is an s14, with an s13 sr20det redtop in it. I guess that might help some, and i dont think its any sort of exhuast sound, the noise is coming from in the motor, with the rpms rising the nosie gets worse!

Bdubs
07-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Well took the vavle cover off today, and there is way to much slack in the chain, I am now leaning towards this as the culprit. But the cams do not look very healthy either, so looks like a rebuild is in the future.
I will have some pictures up in a few moments

Bdubs
07-24-2005, 04:06 PM
Is there any write ups on how to change a timing chain on an sr?

caall99
07-24-2005, 09:55 PM
Also, I have another issue, it seems my idle is a little goofy, idles fine, but when you give it some gas, its sticks, then you can give it a blip, and it goes right back? Is it simply a sticky throttle plate, or throttle cable? Or is there something in the computer that is telling the car to do that?

i bump this question cause i am having the same problem!