PDA

View Full Version : Engine Builder Question

ka24det-power
07-22-2005, 04:53 PM
My SR was running perfect but I just upgraded to a GT3071R so I decided to install head studs and a head gasket before I get it tuned.

I have built several Honda's so I understand the basics.

I pulled the head degreased it and cleaned the mating surface on both the head and block. They where both perfectly clean. I reinstalled the head with a Cometic head gasket and torqued the ARP bolts to spec. I put the crank at TDC and then installed the cams TDC 10 o'clock and 12 o'clock. (11 links between them). Everything matched to the JWT and Nissan manual instructions.

Now the problem, I have 20psi compression on Cyl 1 and 4 / 180psi complession on Cyl 2 and 3.

I checked and triple checked the timing I can't tell what it is. When I took it all apart I left everything in the same order shims/lifters/etc...

WTF, I have a tuning session scheduled for Sunday and I might have to miss it.

Motor - SR20DET Blacktop S13

ka24det-power
07-22-2005, 08:47 PM
Ok so I drained the air out of the Hydraulic Lash Adjusters (HLA) and now the compression is 60 / 125 / 135 / 55.

I am thinking that as soon as I start the car the oil pressure will fix the rest, I just dont want to put both the manifolds back on if the head gasket isn't sealed somehow.

What do you guys think? anyone have similar issues?

TOMY
07-22-2005, 09:24 PM
where are the fat asses?

chlatboy
07-23-2005, 04:13 AM
Yea, your thread name is weird man!!!

DeatschWerks
07-23-2005, 08:10 AM
I reinstalled the head with a Cometic head gasket and torqued the ARP bolts to spec.
Motor - SR20DET Blacktop S13

Did you torque them in sequence per the FSM? There is more to it than just thowing the bolts on and tightening them to spec. You probably know this but just checking.

ka24det-power
07-23-2005, 08:45 AM
Yeah I used the sequence from XAT starting inside and working out. I am trying to make use of those (DeatschWerks) 650's I bought from you last month.

I havn't started the engine since I took the head off - I am doing in the compression check with just the cams in. I am starting to think that because the lashers are controlled by oil pressure they wont work properly until I give them oil pressure by running the engine.

95zilvia
07-23-2005, 09:20 AM
I dont know if this is true, but I think sometimes the piston rings dont seat properly? Maybe throw a couple drops of oil in there to help them seal better.
Well regardless, you could use the oil trick to check the condition of your rings.
Just a suggestion.

ka24det-power
07-23-2005, 07:19 PM
Ok brothers of SR, I have the answer.

It was the HLA's, after the 10 seconds of the motor running, the oil pressure made the lashers adjust to the correct hight and compression is back to normal. 155 accross the board.

Time to get it tuned. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

19 PSI Here I come!

WILDACEX187
07-23-2005, 08:56 PM
thats cool wish i knew how to do half of wat u do lol. good luck with the car, post some pix and maybe vids :bow: