PDA

View Full Version : Emissions problems: rear o2 sensor and EVAP vcv

d4vech3n
07-20-2005, 09:10 PM
Well I was the one caught with a fake inspection sticker. I found out that getting a legit inspection sticker with a non-passing car to be very hard if you have obd2 so right now my only choice is to go legit since it isn't too difficult. My initial obd2 codes were: a/t connecting lines, inhibitor switch, crank position sensor, and air inlet temp sensor.

I picked up a 5 speed ecu, s14 tranny for the cps sensor, and air inlet temp sensor to clear up those readings. I had Carluch wire up my new tranny with everything syncing up to obd2 emissions; he did a perfect job in getting everything wired as if it was OEM.

Well after a second inspection, I've come up with these bad parts: my EVAP vent control valve and rear o2 sensor. I looked up these problems and have found that the EVAP vcv goes bad on alot of cars and that it's a common problem with 96-97 nissans. I plan on replacing that part and hoping all goes well.

As for the rear oxygen sensor, I was looking it up on the OEM parts catalog and have discovered there to be two versions: one for an auto car and one for a 5 speed ECU. My assumption is that the new 5 speed ecu just isn't compatible with the auto rear o2 sensor that is in my car. I haven't seen this discussed on auto->manual swaps so I'm a little confused as to the difference. Can anybody add more info on this?

If anybody should have a perfectly fine rear o2 sensor off of a 5speed obd2 s14, I'll take it. I'm sort of on a deadline here as the 2nd failed inspection report says "If the car doesn't pass inspection by 7/31/05, it may be subject to registration suspension." So if worst comes to worst, I'll have to pay those rape nissan dealership prices. Hopefully somebody can help me out, thanks.

aznpoopy
07-20-2005, 09:19 PM
sparkplugs.com has a OE identical NGK o2 sensor for $75 bucks or so.

much better then the $130+ from the dealership.

d4vech3n
07-20-2005, 09:52 PM
cool, they apparently have a distinction between auto and manual... I gues that's the main problem.

projectRDM
07-20-2005, 10:29 PM
I think I've got a 96 rear 5speed sensor.